[Peace] A request for help on Saturday

Kimberlie Kranich kakranich at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 22:14:50 CDT 2006

    Dear Friend,

I am looking for 3-4 people who are willing to spend 2 hours with me this Saturday from 1-3pm to help me put flyers in the doors of my neighbors. No talking is required but a friendly smile if you happen to meet my neighbors' eyes would be nice.

This has to do with a referendum for the poor.  At the end of this email is the text of my "Dear Neighbor" letter.

If you can help me at a different time on Saturday, please let me know. If enough people can make a different time, I'll switch times.

Perhaps you'd like to create a "Dear Neigbor Letter" for the folks in your neighborhood? If so, feel free to use all or some of my text.  And let me know so I can get you those yellow flyers I mention in the note below.

Thanks  for considering helping me.

In loving  kindness,
Kim

Dear Neighbor,
  Could you get by without a car?  Do you know how to live without electricity and a phone?  Do you know which grocery store garbage bins to look in for throw-away food? Could you survive without a checking account?  People who live in poverty know how to do all these things. According to the 2000 Census, more than 13,000 people in Champaign live below the poverty line. They need your help. On election day, you can make a difference for the poor.

  Your ballot includes a referendum for a tiny property tax increase.  In real dollars this means, for example, that if your home is assessed at $150,000 and you vote “Yes” for this referendum, you’ll be agreeing to pay less than $23 to directly help the poor.

  Illinois Law requires City of Champaign Township to provide assistance to the poorest among us. These poor are not eligible for any other public assistance though they live in extreme poverty and are unable to meet basic needs critical for health and well-being.  Champaign Township can offer these individuals a maximum monthly assistance of $212 per month.  Those who receive  this assistance must work through non-profit organizations or local governments in order  to receive their $212.  Those too ill to work or are permanently disabled, must apply for SSI.

  Currently about a 100 people are so poor that they receive monthly assistance.  There are many more in need and that’s what this referendum is all about.  If you want to help, please vote “yes.”  Please note that the language of the referendum says nothing about the poor.  But it’s the first of three referenda on your ballot.  And it’s labeled “Proposition To Increase The City of Champaign Township Tax Rate.”   Township is the office that serves the poor.

  For the complete wording of the  referendum and additional facts please see attached yellow flyer. Thank you for considering this  important issue.

  In loving kindness, Your Neighbor, Kimberlie Kranich, 1731   West Haven Drive, 359-9884