[Peace] Church talks in Decatur this Sunday

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Fri Sep 15 07:48:17 CDT 2006

I'll be giving two talks at the Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship of
Decatur this Sunday, September 17.

During the 10:15am service I'll be speaking for 20-30 minutes on how
religion is involved with the current crisis in the Mideast ("Religious
Voices from the Middle East").  I'll argue that religion is not the
cause of the crisis -- the cause is a long-term dispute over political
control -- but religion has become as it were a collecting-vessel for
frustrated political demands. (That's not an unknown phenomenon -- the
Christian right in the US is something like that; and the political
culture of the US took its rise in the disputes of 17th century Britain,
where religion was the form of political struggle.)

There are two interesting recent statement from religious leaders in the
Mideast that were little reported here; I'll start with them.  The first
was a declaration by Christian and Muslim leaders in Beirut while it was
being bombed, and the second was a statement by Christian leaders in
Jerusalem on "Christian Zionism."

At 2pm (in the church building) I'll present 45-60 minutes on "The
Current Crisis in the Middle East" -- which I suggest needs to be looked
at in the context of the last half-century: everything didn't change
after 9/11.

The UUFD is at 3773 N. MacArthur Road.  (Take the Business-51 exit south
from I-72, go right on Mound and left on MacArthur.)

--Carl Estabrook