[Peace] News notes for AWARE meeting 2007-04-01

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 3 00:09:53 CDT 2007

[1] Congress recessed this week, but not before passing two bills (one
in each house) providing a vast amount of money to continue killing
people in the ME.  Congress may produce a joint bill after recess (and
probably milk and cookies and a nap), but Bush has said he will veto it
because of suggestions (no more) from both houses about withdrawal from
Iraq.  I actually don't believe it -- Bush can sign the bill with the
sort of signing statement about the authority of the Commander-in-Chief
that the administration has  used all along, and pocket the money.  The
political parties -- both substantially to the right of the US populace
--  will have done their job of neutralizing the vote against the war in
last fall's election.

[2] The division between the parties and the people was on display in
other ways this week.  House Republican leader John Boehner was booed on
Wednesday at a construction workers’ union legislative forum when he
said, "Who doesn't believe that if we just pull out of Iraq and come
home that the terrorists won't follow us here and we'll be fighting them
on the streets of America?"  Boos and catcalls grew louder as Boehner
continued, "We have to fight the enemy at some point, and if we don't
fight him now, when will we fight them?"
	Meanwhile, a great liberal hope, almost-senator Harold Ford of
Tennessee, the new chairman of the rightist Democratic Leadership
Council, this week said he does not thank that  Congress should set a
deadline for U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq.  "I think most
Americans want to win, they don't want to see us leave early, and if we
leave prematurely, we may create a broader set of conflicts and invite a
bigger problem in that region than before leaving."

[3] In a week in which Iran announced that it will allow the monitoring
of its nuclear program that the UN has asked for, the Iran news in the
West has been about the captured British sailors -- perhaps the basis
for a Tonkin Gulf incident for the Bush administration. And perhaps to
that end, the US rejected an exchange of the sailors for the Iranian
diplomats that the US imprisoned in Iraq two months ago and still holds.
	The Russian government is leaking a story that the US plans to attack
Iran this week, apparently with the intention of forestalling the
attack.  Russian sources say a vast air attack is planned for this
Friday, April 6 (Good Friday in the Western Christian Church)

[4] Saudi King Abdullah, whose country is one of the three upon which US
control of the Middle East rests (the other two being Israel and Turkey)
on Wednesday slammed the "illegitimate foreign occupation" of Iraq in an
opening speech to the annual Arab summit in Riyadh.  He also said that
Arab nations would not allow any foreign force to decide the future of
the region.  The Arab nations repeated their five-year-old Middle East
peace plan at the summit, offering normal relations with Israel if it
complies with UN resolutions.

[5] Two Afghanistan experts painted a sobering picture of the conditions
there yesterday, arguing support among Afghans for NATO forces is
plummeting, the U.S.-driven policy of poppy eradication is wrongheaded,
and the war might not be winnable in its present form.  U.S. scholar
Barnett Rubin and Gordon Smith, Canada’s former ambassador to NATO,
delivered their withering comments to a Canadian House of Commons
committee only days after Canada’s top military commander, Gen. Rick
Hillier, touted progress being made there.

[6]In its kangaroo courts in Guantanamo, the US accepted a plea bargain
from an Australian on the condition that he say he wasn't tortured and
that he not talk to the press for a year (after, in other words, the
election in Australia, whose PM supports the US war).  Meanwhile, a
brave or foolhardy prisoner stated for the record hat he was tortured
into saying that he had participated in the bombing of the USS Cole.
	The Wall Street Journal ran a long front-page article this week on a
military prosecutor who refused to bring charges against a suspected
terrorist because he the prisoner had been tortured.  Meanwhile
long-time civil rights columnist Nat Hentoff asks what has become of the
other disappeared prisoners whom the CIA held.

[7] In a massive display of psychological displacement, the Democratic
party, recoiling from the possibility of actually affecting the war
policy of the USG, has seized on some bureaucratic rearrangements in the
Department of Justice regarding federal prosecutors and the bemused
mendacity of Bush's latino consigliere AG Gonzales.  Feckless Democrats
delight in watching chat on this matter drive the real story of our
murderous policies in the ME out of the news.

[8] The Bush administration has meanwhile attended to its principal
task, the reason for which it was put into office, and the income gap in
the US is now the greatest it has been since 1928, before the Great
Depression.

[9] The US-engineered Ethiopian occupation of Somalia has produced the
worst fighting in that country since US troops left fifteen years ago.
	Meanwhile, the editor of the Black Agenda Report writes, "The flow of
refugees now streams both ways on the border of Darfur ... To the west,
a U.S.-dominated Chadian regime is in charge, firmly implanted in the
matrix of the new U.S. Africa Command. Yet tens of thousands flee Chad
*into* Darfur! [as a result of the US] imperial agenda [in Africa] --
under the guise of "humanitarian" assistance."

[10] Former Vice President and Academy Award winner Al Gore has been
discussing a run for a third party nomination for president.  Ralph
Nader has sought to recruit the former Democratic presidential candidate
to run as the candidate of the Green Party.

[11] Finally, there was a fire in Hollywood this week , but it was
probably not the result of the spontaneous combustion of rich liberals
who are deciding that Hillary Clinton is too liberal on health care, and
are therefore switching their money to a more reliably conservative
candidate, Barack Obama -- altho' that is happening.
	At the same time, that Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz is reporting that the
major Israeli Lobby group, AIPAC, is reassured on Obama's views on
Israel...

[12] Don't miss Jan's response to the editorial page editor in today's
News-Gazette.

--CGE