[Peace] CIMIC Press Release: C-U Muslims, offended by chocolate portrayal of Jesus

Naeem Sheikh nsheikh at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 10 12:57:35 CDT 2007

   CENTRAL ILLINOIS MOSQUE AND ISLAMIC CENTER  106 S. Lincoln, Urbana, IL 61801
   dpc at cimic.org    www.cimic.org

   C-U Muslims, offended by chocolate portrayal of Jesus

   Urbana, IL 04/09/07.  The Muslim community of East Central Illinois, represented by the Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center (CIMIC) in Urbana joined national Muslim organizations and Christian groups in expressing profound dismay over the display of a life-size, "anatomically correct" sculpture image of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) made of chocolate, which was set to open for display at the Manhattan Lab Gallery in New York.
   Muslims are very unhappy by what they regard as deliberate mockery of Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him), who is revered by Christians and is also held in high esteem by Muslims as the prophet of God.  The portrayal contributes to unfortunate broader climate of ridiculing religious figures, which is detrimental to societal interests at large.

   The Muslim stance stems from the Qur’anic injunction about treating all prophets of God with respect and reverence; it states:

   Say: "We believe in God, and in that which has been bestowed from on high upon us, and that which has been bestowed upon Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and their descendants, and that which has been vouchsafed by their Sustainer unto Moses and Jesus and all the [other] prophets: we make no distinction between any of them. And unto Him do we surrender ourselves." (Qur’an 3:84).

   Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is reported to have said: "I am the nearest of all the people to the son of Mary, and all the prophets are paternal brothers, and there has been no prophet between me and him (i.e. Jesus)."

   CU- Muslims acknowledge constitutional rights of individuals and groups for freedom of expression; however, one has to do what is morally and ethically correct, and be cognizant of religious sensitivities.

   The CU Muslims are glad to learn that the display has been withdrawn.  Muslims hold firm to the belief that the image of any Messenger of God should never be physically portrayed.

   About CIMIC
   The Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center (CIMIC) Association is a non-profit religious organization and the home of the first Muslim Students Association (MSA) in North America.  CIMIC caters to the spiritual, educational, and social needs of Muslims and others in Central Illinois.  www.cimic.org

   Contact Information
   Outreach Committee
   Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center
    217-344-1555
   dpc at cimic.org
   www.cimic.org