[Peace] Thursday: Champaign-Urbana report release on Cost of Iraq War

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:15:55 CDT 2007

Just Foreign Policy is co-sponsoring this event together with the National
Priorities Project.

Please come and spread the word.

----

Dear MoveOn Member,

Did you know that we've already spent more than $456 BILLION on the war so
far?1 And that it's cost each American household more than $4,100?2 We've
learned that when we remind voters of the costs of the Iraq war--and all the
important priorities that we can't afford because of it--they're more likely
to push Congress to end the war quickly.

So MoveOn members are holding a news conference on Thursday in Urbana to
release a new report on what the war has cost your area. They still need a
few more folks to come. Can you make it?

Host: Bob N.--fellow MoveOn member
Where: King School, Fairview at Goodwin, Urbana
When: Thursday, Aug 16 2007, 12:00 PM

Sign up here:
http://political.moveon.org/event/reportrelease/39971

At a news conference like this, it really helps to have a crowd of 5-10
people--so it's clear in the TV coverage that folks are really concerned
about the cost of the war. We still need a few more folks to come to the
event in Urbana (because it's during the day, it's a little harder for some
people to make it). If you're free, the MoveOn members organizing this event
could really use your help.

At the events, MoveOn members will hold a press conference for reporters
where we'll release the report, hear from speakers and take questions from
the media. Then, we'll deliver the report outlining what the war is costing
us to our representative's office so that Congress gets the message: We want
an end to this unwinnable civil war in Iraq and we want it now.

In September, General Petraeus is going to issue his report on Iraq.
Congress will then decide whether they're going to give the president
another blank check for endless war or whether they'll force him to accept
real timelines to bring our troops home quickly.

So we're going all out this month to make sure Congress takes a stand
against this war and votes to bring our troops home in September.

    * First, we'll release these reports to remind Congress and the media
how outraged we are that we're dumping billions of dollars into a religious
civil war that just can't be won.
    * Then, throughout the month, we'll work with our coalition partners at
Americans Against Escalation in Iraq to turn up the heat on pro-war members
of Congress in their home districts.
    * We'll finish the month off strong right before Congress heads back to
D.C. On August 28th--National Take a Stand Day--we'll hold vigils across the
country.

These events are just the first step--and we want to start out with a bang.
Can you make it on Thursday?

Sign up here:
http://political.moveon.org/event/reportrelease/39971

Thanks for all you do.

--Nita, Matt, Anna, Natalie and the MoveOn.org Political Action Team
  Tuesday, August 14th, 2007

Sources:

1. Local Costs of Iraq War National Priorities Project, August 2007
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=2878&id=&t=4

2. Ibid