[Peace] Immigration focus of Film Series, Fall 2007

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 24 18:05:26 CDT 2007

[This is both a list of events (the Human Rights Film Festival which will be on the issue of immigration) and a request for co-sponsorship of the Film Festival... feel free to forward to other groups (like TIF, for example). -karen medina ]

>I am contacting you to request the co-sponsorship of your organization for an upcoming event at the Illinois Disciples Foundation.
>
>It is my pleasure to announce that the Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF) will soon begin our Fall Human Rights Film Series. The series presents important documentary films dealing with issues of human rights and social, environmental and economic justice. This semester's film series will focus on the issue of immigration, in conjunction with the burgeoning national and local campaign for a new sanctuary movement (http://www.newsanctuarymovement.org). The films will focus on the motivations for immigration, both legal and illegal, the experiences of immigrants, the dangers they face coming across borders and the public debate over immigration, hopefully putting a human face to this highly politicized issue.

These films will be presented to the public, free of charge, on Thursday evenings from September 20th through October 11th at the Illinois Disciples Foundation. The films will be presented by local activists and community members who will moderate discussions about the issues raised in the films with the people who come to the viewings.

>We here at IDF are very excited about this event, which has grown in popularity since we began the series in 2003. In that time the series has expanded from an annual event to now a semi-annual event. We hope that you will join the IDF in supporting this wonderful event for the community by agreeing to co-sponsor, allowing us to use your name on our publicity
materials. We also hope you will organize your members and supporters to participate and help to spread the word in the community about the event.