[Peace] Guidelines for Donating Things to the IMC

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Aug 29 12:37:15 CDT 2007

From: Christopher Evans <caevans2 at hotmail.com>

There was a time when the IMC moved into a 30,000 square foot building with
nothing in it. It was a vast space and the comforts for the creatures soon
came pouring in. The IMC has been blessed by many, many people who have not
only donated their time and sweat, but also stuff we have been able to put
to good use. We should be grateful.

The building has many nice things about it and in general, we look fairly
decent for a motley crew of volunteers with no millionaires among us.

There have been in recent months, mysterious benefactors who leave their
stuff in the building or outside the building intended as a donation for the

IMC. As I go around the building to get it ready for the fall semester, I
have a few guidelines about donating your stuff to the IMC:

1) Contact the Building Coordinator 721-7125, the book keeper 344-8820, a
working group member, an IMC member, somebody familiar with the
IMC BEFORE you arrive with your truck of stuff. We may not need what you
want to donate. Be sure you talk to somebody before dumping your stuff off.
Please, do not dump and run.

2) This is a historic building-built in 1914. This building is on the
National Historic Preservation List. It is a local treasure. It stands with
any of the buildings on the Quad, the courthouse, you name it. Before you
decide to donate something to the IMC, especially furniture- ask yourself,
"Is this furnishing worthy for a museum or fine public venue?" I know in the

short run, we needed stuff right away, and it was great to get so much
furniture so fast. But now we have to ask ourselves is all the furniture
really enhancing the IMC image. Some of the pieces we have in the building
are in such poor condition, (and now in the back by the dumpster) that it is

no wonder newcomers at a late night IMC event can think it okay to putt
their cigarette out on the floor, or leave their spilt drink, or whatever
else since this place looks kind of crappy already. The upstairs, the lobby,

and the radio station should be showcase areas where the tone of the
building is set. We are a media making center that heals the world. That
description is a bit flowery, but you get the idea. This should be a place
where you want to come in and look at things. I recommend that any antiques
in excellent condition make good candidates for enhancing this building.
Remember, however, we may NOT need whatever you think ought to be brought
over. Please check with someone before you start emptying an antique store
on us.

And those are the guidelines.
Much of the building is in disarray because I often take a scattered
approach to projects and start one thing after another without finishing the

one thing. Hopefully, you will see improvements over the week and much that
is wrong with the building is my responsibility. Thanks for you patience.

I want to thank everyone who ever cared enough to lend the IMC some of their

things. We have been a 3-year miracle so far with bright prospects ahead.
Please remember, when you donate, donate with the IMC as your priority, and
not merely getting your trash out of your way.
By the way, I suggest all working groups make a wish-list so donors know
what is really needed. At the top of the list is we need $10,000 for a new
radio tower. Now that's a dump and run we can always accept.

Chris- the building guy