[Peace] Environmental Justice Articles

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:09:14 CST 2007

Good Morning Everyone:

I've been researching the subject matter of Environmental Justice in
connection with my graduate work at Eastern Illinois University. As a member
of CU Citizens for Peace and Justice, a cancer survivor, and a parent this
is an issue that I have grown to care deeply about. I'm in the process of
working on an article for the UCIMC website and want to get some feedback as
I work on this.

Locally we have focused on the toxic tours that have been done on the 5th
and Hill site. The use of Toxic Tours as a communication tool is nothing new
and I would like to incorporate information on other tours that have been
done. When I did a content analysis of news coverage I discovered news
articles on tours in parts of Mexico and other countries. Apparently the
United States has not limited the disposal of hazardous waste products to
their own borders. If members of this listserve would like to offer comments
on the global aspects of environmental justice feel free to email your
comments to me at either martiwilki at gmail.com or mlwilkinson at eiu.edu and I
will do what I can to incorporate quotations in my final article. Again this
is something I am working on for the online edition for the local
independent media center. I might end up submitting a modified version to
the Public i.

Peace, Marti