[Peace] SHAME ON CHANCELLOR HERMAN!

msmith46 at uiuc.edu msmith46 at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 13 13:15:34 CST 2007

please forward widely:

SHAME ON THE UNIVERSITY AND SHAME ON CHANCELLOR HERMAN!

I am deeply troubled by the fact that the University will only pay employees who showed up at 8am today given the severity of the weather.  It is now clear that the reason the University waited until 9am to close campus was so that they could make money off of the employees who did not show up because of the dangerous road conditions.  The university is, in essence, charging employees (i.e. benefits and vacation) for the bad weather.

The university is putting MONEY FIRST and sacrificing the SAFETY and LIVELIHOOD of its employees.  Campus should have been closed EARLIER!  Chancellor Herman should not have put people's lives in jeopardy, as they tried to get to campus during a blizzard.

This is shameful and the act of only paying some employees who showed up for work should be rescinded.  ALL EMPLOYEES SHOULD BE PAID THEIR REGULAR PAY RATE FOR THEIR DAY.

Please send your complaints and demand justice on this issue to the Chancellor at: chancellor at uiuc.edu

-Martin Smith, PhD Candidate