[Peace] Nationwide Protests Against War Thurs.

martin smith send2smith at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 15:30:45 CST 2007

www.unitedforpeace. org | 212-868-5545 |
Click to subscribe

 Please forward widely!

Say NO!!

Nationwide Protests This
Thursday

TIME FOR A
SURGE OF
OPPOSITION TO BUSH'S WAR ESCALATION

Hard to believe,
but in a primetime televised speech
on Wednesday evening, President Bush will announce his plans to send
more troops
into Iraq. We don't know for sure, but he could be planning to send at
least
20,000 more troops, and the numbers could be even higher.

Whatever the
numbers are, the Bush administration is
once again moving in the wrong direction. In November the voters
elected a new
Congress with a clear mandate: End this war! The people of this country
want
the war to end and we do NOT want more troops sent to Iraq.

We need to act quickly and
in large
numbers to oppose this escalation.

United for Peace
and Justice has joined an effort
initiated by Win Without War and True Majority
to encourage as many local actions in communities all around the
country this Thursday, the day after Bush announces his plans. We need to be
visible
and vocal. Our message must be heard by the White House and by the
Congress. NO
more troops, end this war now!

Take a moment
right now to find out what's already
planned in your area. And if you don't see anything listed yet, then plan your
own activity and be sure to list it. It's very easy to host something
and a lot
of the legwork has already been done, including compiling an event
organizing
kit with resources and tips for making your activity a
success.

This wave of
activity all around the nation on
Thursday can be a critically important opportunity for helping to get
the word
out about the Jan. 27-29 mobilization in Washington, DC
. Momentum is
building
for what promises to be a politically crucial demonstration. People from all
around the
nation will be gathering in Washington to send the strongest message
possible: It is time to bring the troops home; it is time to end the war in Iraq!

There is still
much work to do in these last few
weeks. Most importantly, we need to make sure everyone knows this
demonstration
is taking place. Imagine how you'll feel in the days following the
mobilization
when people tell you they would have also been in Washington if only
they had known
about the mobilization! Let's now use every
opportunity, every opening we have to spread the word.

At your SAY NO activities on Thursday, be
sure to
have leaflets about the January 27-29 mobilization
.

In any press work you do on Thursday, be
sure to
mention that the march
on Washington on January 27th is the next major action of the antiwar
movement.

Organize a phone bank, a day of
leafletting,
call-ins to radio talk shows and anything else you can think of to
get the
word out.

It's also
important that we organize as many people as
possible to stay in Washington, DC, for the national Congressional Lobby
Day on
Monday, Jan., 29th.
You can find out more about this timely effort and
how you
can get involved by clicking here.

Please be sure
to let us know if you are organizing
transportation from your area to Washington, DC.
You can add the
information
about buses, trains, car pools, etc. on to our transportation board on
the UFPJ
website. We need this information as soon as possible ... thanks!

Finally, we
appreciate the financial support that many
of you are giving to this effort. At the same time, there are
tremendous
expenses involved in putting together such a massive event.
If you have
not
donated yet, please consider doing so right now! The money you send today will
immediately be put to good use. Thanks so much.

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE

www.unitedforpeace. org | 212-868-5545
To subscribe, visit
www.unitedforpeace. org/email

If you are having trouble viewing this message, please
click here.

http://mail.yahoo.com