[Peace] Re: [Aware] Can you help?

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 30 18:22:52 CST 2007

I am against the war on terrorism because it is a phony war, open
ended, and an excuse for grossly compromising our civil rights and,
indeed, the fundamental principles of liberty and justice of our
nation. It has spawned the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act
(destroying habeus corpus!), engendered sending people to Guantanamo
and elsewhere (rendition) to be tortured and incarcerated without any
reasonable judicial recourse--left to decay in black holes like in
the middle ages. Our very privacy is now in the hands of
irresponsible federal agents because of this supposed war.

And most heinous of all, the "war" has led "us" to invade a nation
posing no threat to us, no relation to 9/11 (despite claims by the
administration to the contrary), destroying that nation (Iraq),
causing 100's of thousands of deaths---Iraqis, U.S military and their
mercenaries. This terror war  has led us to terrorize, increased
terrorism, not eliminated it. It is an open ended invitation to
autocracy, to facism, to undermining of our republic.

This war has created a horrible civil conflict in Iraq, and a crisis
here at home, turning all those of the wrong origin or appearance
into suspects subject to unjustified harassment.

Our liberties are directly threatened because of the fears engendered
in our population by this so-called war. A war is usually understood
to be between states, the the war on terror is a vague kind of thing,
where anyone you don't like is subject to be called terrorists, and
killed. If there are dangerous people in the world, police actions
should be used to search them out, not indiscriminate bombing of
populations and their inevitable innocent casualties.

We didn't bomb Oklahoma City…We went after Timothy McVeigh…

The elimination of terrorism must start with our government. Let it
stop terrorizing others with its military, its CIA,  its paid
mercenaries, and start helping the underprivileged and unfed of the
world. Let us renounce war/violence as a method of settling
differences. Terrorists often have legitimate grievances and a sense
that those grievances cannot be overcome against an all powerful
entity---us--- except by violence. If we behave better in the world,
terrorism will abate; that is sure. It has been noted that the 9/11
terrorists didn't bother Sweden.

I could go on. This "war on/of? terror" is compromising the very
infrastructure of our nation. Education, roads, health, environment
could all use the billions wasted on bombs and the military in
pursuit of an amorphous "war". . A few benefit from the billions
passed around to the corporations for their war aid, but most don't.

Yes, 9/11 did happen, a terrorist event, but you may not realize that
our own government was complicit in this event in that we trained the
Mujahadin in Afghanistan to fight the Soviets, and what do you know,
they turned against us. And no one has yet explained who was
responsible for the anthrax scare early on. Our amazing FBI is
clueless? Amazing, and suspicious.

Terrorism can be met with good police actions without terrorizing
others and destroying the basis of our republic.

Enough.

---mkb