[Peace] Announcing Wuqu' Kawoq

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 7 10:14:26 CDT 2007

Dear friends,

As most of you know, I have been involved for some time in indigenous rights and medical aid work in the Kaqchikel-speaking regions of Guatemala.

I am just writing to let you know that our organization has a brand-new website which details much of the work we are doing. Much content still needs to be added, but you can still read about some of our projects, view photographs, download a brochure, and the like.

Please take a moment to visit the website here: www.wuqukawoq.org

We are a small organization, and we are always looking for help!

Ways you can help:

(1) Save this email in your inbox and click on the link once a day for several weeks, or post the link to your blog, facebook, or myspace page. This will help us to increase our Google visibility.

(2) Pass this email or other information along to friends and acquaintances.

(3) Invite us to come give a talk to a group you are involved with.

(4) Donate time or expertise. We have opportunities for physicians, midwives and medical students to provide medical care and midwife training classes. We also are in need of engineers to become involved in some of our water development projects. Linguists, activists, and persons with experience in publishing or fundraising are also needed.

(5) Donate money. There is a link on our website which has information about how to donate. You can make a general contribution, and there are also specific giving opportunities. Specifically, we are soliciting for donations in the following areas: (1) funds to purchase training manuals for midwives and other indigenous providers; (2) funds to purchase basic medical equipment for an indigenous medical cooperative (for example, machines to check blood sugar and hemoglobin levels in pregnant women); (3) funds for publishing projects (we are publishing Kaqchikel- and Spanish-language medical self-help books); (4) and funds to purchase lands and water rights for community and water development projects.

Please contact me at rohloff at uiuc.edu or wuqu.kawoq at gmail.com for more information or to ask questions.

Peter Rohloff, RN PhD

Executive Director, Wuqu' Kawoq S.A.
Fellow, Medical Scholars Program, UIUC

cel (Guatemala) 52435550/58291985
raxqij.blogspot.com

"strengthening Mayan language and medicine"