[Peace] Iraq war protest today, 5pm, Vets Memorial Urbana, rain or shine.

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:56:46 CDT 2007

There will be a "Citizens' Counter-Filibuster" today (Tuesday) at 5pm
at the Champaign County Veterans' Memorial, Broadway and Main, Urbana
(next to the old county courthouse and across from the parking garage,
1 block north of Lincoln Square.)

We will be protesting threats by the Senate Republican leadership to
block by filibuster any legislative effort to end the Iraq War and
bring the troops home. We'll be reading stories from military families
and veterans.

Sponsored by MoveOn's Operation Democracy, Americans Against the
Escalation in Iraq, and Just Foreign Policy.

You can "RSVP" and find more info here:
http://political.moveon.org/event/counterfilibuster/39352

Here is an article about the filibuster threat and Senator Reid's
announcement that he would challenge the filibuster by forcing the
Senate into all-night session:

Reid To Force Senate Into All-Night Session Tuesday
http://bobgeiger.blogspot.com/2007/07/reid-to-force-senate-into-all-night.html

Weather.com says there is a 40% chance of precipitation at 5pm, so you
might want to bring an umbrella, etc.

The other way of looking at it is that there is a 60% chance of no
precipitation...we'll be there in any event.

Candles and signs focussed on bringing the troops home and ending the
war are also welcome. Signs and candles will also be provided.

Questions:
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
217-344-3354