[Peace]...target Johnson on support for Iraq war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 21 16:26:58 CDT 2007

Bob--

You say you want to "pressure Congressman Johnson to withdraw our troops
from Iraq," but your way of doing it is to ask him to vote *in favor* of
a bill providing funding for the war -- just so long as the bill is
written by Democrats!

The contradiction arises from the fact that this campaign is not
interested in ending the war so much as it in making it go away as a
problem for the Democrats.  This campaign -- funded with millions from
Democratic party funders -- wants to use the majority anti-war sentiment
in the country for the electoral benefit of Democrats.  (That's why the
campaign targets no pro-war Democrats.)

That would be fine if the Democrats really wanted to end the war.  I'll
come closer to believing that, in spite of what their leading
presidential candidates say, when this front group starts calling for
Johnson to vote against *all* funding for the war.  They don't do that now.

Regards, Carl