[Peace] Tim Wise events March 11-13

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 1 14:33:06 CST 2007

(from Jan & Durl Kruse)

              Tim Wise
       Anti-racism educator on campus

Director of the Association for White Anti-Racist Education (A.W.A.R.E.),
Tim Wise has visited more than 400 college campuses to lecture about
institutional racism, gender bias, and the growing gap between rich and poor.
http://www.timwise.org/

There's also an 11x17 printable poster with the information included here; see
   http://www.anti-war.net/pdfarch/tim-wise-poster.pdf

Sunday, March 11

   Rebuilding New Orleans and the Impact of Hurricane Katrina
   5-7PM at Garner Hall Main Lounge

    An informal conversation about Tim Wise's experience in
    New Orleans and the rebuilding of the city after Hurricane Katrina.
    We will discuss his new book, "Disasters, Natural and Otherwise:
    Racism, White Privilege and Hurricane Katrina."

Monday, March 12

  Student Affairs Development Session
  9:30-11:30AM at Illini Union Room 404

    Tim Wise and a panel of students will discuss how to create
    positive change.  What is working, how do we lead our campus
    to its ideal environment, and what are the expectations for
    diversity.

  Creating Allies with Dominant Group Members
  4-6PM at Illini Orange

    Conversations about coalition building to impact social change.

  Intersections Dialogue: Who wants to party?  Self-segregated Fun
  7-10PM at PAR

Tuesday, March 13

  Food for Thought: An Interview with Tim Wise
  12-1:30pm at Asian American Cultural Center
  (1210 W. Nevada St., Urbana)

  Open Dinner Forum: Conversations on Race
  5PM at Allen Hall South Rec Room

  Breaking Barriers
  7-8:30pm at Illini Union, Illini Room A

    Coalition Building within the fraternity and sorority community

Each event is open to all.

Sponsored by University Housing, Student Affairs and Program Coordinating
Council;  Student Cultural Programming Fee;  Center for Democracy in a
Multiracial Society; Office for Fraternity and Sorority Affairs; and
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.