[Peace] N-G needs to be stopped

Rachel istehar2 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 22:16:10 CST 2007

I am pretty sure that the intent of the satire was to
suggest that "the Chief" should be regarded as the
same type of stereotype as a blackface caricature.  It
is thus subtly trying to make Chief supporters feel
ashamed of themselves.  Perhaps it was too subtle,
however, and leaves room for a LOT of
misunderstandings.

Is it your opinion that this image is so offensive
that it should not have been used to make this point?
My opinion is that the comparison is quite apt.  Would
you be offended if someone printed the sentence "the
Chief Illiniwek character is just as awful as
blackface."?  My suspicion is that seeing the actual
image is what is much more shocking.  But sometimes
one has to be shocking and blunt to make an impression
on people, as this image hits everyone on a very
visceral level.  If the comparison were only made in
words, written in an article, it probably would reach
a lot less people.

-Rachel Angus