[Peace] Social Justice Film Festival at the College of Law

Victoria Hadfield v_hadfield at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:26:31 CST 2007

Dear all,

I have appended below some information about the upcoming films being shown
at the Social Justice Film Festival at the College of Law.  The Festival
involves a professor or student group showing a film on a social justice
issue, and then leading a discussion afterwards.  The discussions I have
been to so far have been great, but could always benefit from community
involvement and from the perspective of engaged participants who are not
lawyers!  :)

I encourage all of you to join us -- I am planning to attend all the films
listed in the message below, so I guarantee there will be at least one
friendly face, and I will be happy to introduce you around if you like.
Please feel free to email me at v_hadfield at hotmail.com if you would like any
additional information.

Victoria Hadfield

* * * * * * *

Social Justice Film Series returns with "Inherit the Wind" on Tuesday, March
13 at 6:30 p.m. at the University of Illinois College of Law (504 E.
Pennsylvania Ave) Room D

The Social Justice Film Series, organized by Assistant Dean Cynthea Geerdes,
serves as a means of bringing the College of Law community together to
discuss serious social justice issues…and enjoy a film!  The Social Justice
Film Series resumes on Tuesday, March 13 at 6:30 p.m. in Room D with
“Inherit the Wind” with commentary provided after the film by Professor
Steve Beckett.

“Inherit the Wind” is based on the 1950s Broadway play about the 1925
“Scopes Monkey Trial” involving the teaching of evolution in public schools.
Legendary criminal defense lawyer Clarence Darrow was pitted against famous
Christian fundamentalist and often running presidential candidate and orator
William Jennings Bryan in a riveting courtroom drama that polarized the
nation. This historic trial focused Americans' attention on freedom of
speech, separation of church and state and due process and brought to the
surface issues that are still hotly debated today. The 1960 film was
nominated for five Oscars and starred Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, Gene
Kelly, and pre-Bewitched star Dick York.

The Social Justice Film Series are open to anyone with no admission charge
and guests are encouraged to bring supper to enjoy the film and commentary.
Pass the popcorn!

The Spring, 2007 Social Justice Film Series

Tuesday, March 13 – “Inherit the Wind” hosted by Professor Steve Beckett

Thursday, April 5 -  “A Girl Like Me” hosted by Professor Sara Benson

Thursday, April 19 – “When the Levees Break” hosted by Professor Victoria
Hadfield