[Peace] Re: [Peace-discuss] Re: misgivings on Iraq War: A Four Year Reflection

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 06:06:55 CDT 2007

I have learned that estimated numbers on either side of an issue are not to be trusted, and that the peace folks can inflate them with the best. Now while 700,000 might be a stunning number for preaching to the choir, I don’t think preaching to the choir is the point here. At least I presume the point is proselytization, and for that, IMO 100,000 is a better number (guesstimate.)  But candor might not be expected and be considered a sign of weakness, so maybe 2,000,000 is better. Wishy-washy?

  (Just from the numbers' standpoint, 700,000 is roughly 400 per day. I don't think that has happened. But, who knows? I sure don't.)

Pete Rhomberg <rhomberger3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
  The ratio is much higher: currently, the Iraqi death tool is estimated
at at least 700,000 (with over 1 million additional Iraqis displaced).
US Death toll is a little over 3,300 (I'm sorry I don't have the exact
figure).