[Peace] Kristina Wong at Unit One/Allen Hall 4/1-4/6

Laura Haber lhaber at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 28 16:27:37 CDT 2007

  Kristina Wong will be a Guest-in-Residence at Unit One/Allen Hall 4/1-4/6. She will be performing and leading workshops each night of her residency. All programs are open to the public and take place in the South Rec Room of Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana unless noted otherwise. See below for her schedule.

  Kristina Wong is a nationally presented solo performer, writer, actor, educator, activist, and filmmaker. Described by the East Bay Express as "brutal but hilarious... a woman who takes life's absurdities very seriously," her body of performance work includes short and full-length solo performance works, outrageous street theater stunts and pranks, subversive internet installations, plays and sketch comedy. She was recently awarded the Creative Capital Award in Theater and a Creation Fund from the National Performance Network to create her third full length solo show, "Wong Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Her website is www.kristinawong.com and her spoof mail order bride website is www.bigbadchinesemama.com

  Sunday, April 1
      7:00pm - Subversive Art and Activism: The Art of Kristina Wong - From bigbadchinesemama.com to crashing the Miss Chinatown Pageant-- Kristina shows how revolution can be funny, effective, and a way of life.
  8:30pm - Culture Jammers - What do artistic revolutionaries do when they don’t have a theater but want to upstage injustice in big ways? Cue the culture jammers! Enjoy snacks and get cozy. We’ll play clips from some of the most outrageous of public stunts from theatrical activists working with very few resources.
  Monday, April 2
      7:00pm – Using Theater Games to Break Boundaries – We will use performance art and theater games to get to know each other, what’s in our bodies and minds, and get in touch with different genres of performance. These are all exercises that participants can take into their communities and use to initiate dialogue.
  9:00pm - Finding Your Language: Playing with Different Performance Tongues - You don’t have to be the best actor, singer, or dancer to tell an amazing story. This workshop is focused on process rather than product. We start with some warm-ups, movement and theater games-- the rest is playing! Be dressed to move! In a non-judgmental space, participants will play with movement, text, visuals, and working in site-specific contexts to forge a new performance language all their own.
  Tuesday, April 3
      12:00pm – Everyone’s Crazy, Nobody’s Crazy: Denial, Depression and Suicide Among Asian American Women (at Asian American Cultural Center 1210 W. Nevada, Urbana)
  7:00pm - Writing out of your Body and into Paper: A Physical Writing Workshop - All levels of writers welcome. It’s not going to be step aerobics, just a really hands-on experiential way to get some good writing out. Unlock visuals, memories, and your imagination.
  9:00pm - Masks, Disguises, Personas, and the Performances of Everyday Life: A Solo Performance Workshop - In this workshop we deconstruct the way we are seen and how we see ourselves. We’ll draw ourselves again and again to visualize ourselves in metaphor. We’ll make giant sculptures, masks, and take turns performing the real and unreal to empower, recreate, and comment on our own identities.
  Wednesday, April 4
      7:00pm - Mental Illness in Marginalized Communities—What is "crazy" anyway? - An informal discussion of Kristina’s process of researching and writing "Wong Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest." Kristina will show excerpts of this work on DVD and live.
  9:00pm - Karaoke and Poetry Night Hosted by Lady Wong, Our Lady of Karaoke with Live Karaoke Band - Bad Singing, Great Company. Bring a friend, something to read between having your ears explode, and of course, your song list. Anyone arriving in costume will win a prize in our costume contest. (in the main lounge)
  Thursday, April 5
      7:00pm - Making a Viable Living as an Artist - Much of the material shared will come from the Creative Capital Professional Development for Artists Retreat. There will be tools to get students thinking of their creative career as starting now and to develop a viable map for the first few years out of school. It’s helpful for even if you don’t want to be an artist when you grow up.
  9:00pm - Writing for Sanity - A writing workshop for anyone interested in writing autobiographical based work and looking for the tools to make writing an empowering and transformative experience rather than a depressing writer’s blocked one.
  Friday, April 6
      4:00pm – Early Evening Bike Ride (1 hour) - We’ll have a travel adventure without oil and take a group bike ride around Urbana Champaign’s finest locales. Come on time for the safety primer.
  Late Night, Every Evening:
  Arts and crafts, tea, conversation, and facials in the Unit One Guest Apartment.

  Laura Haber
  Program Coordinator of Unit One
  University of Illinois
  68 Allen Hall (MC 050)