[Peace] Main Event moves across the street to the east side

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Tue May 1 21:40:49 CDT 2007

If you are planning to attend the First Saturday of the Month
Demonstration in downtown Champaign it looks like we may need to be
prepared to stand on the east side of the street at Main and Neil.
There is no longer any sidewalk available at the usual location....only
barricades and a high fence.  Parking is no longer possible at the
corner on the west side of the street either. However, parking should
be available across the street to the east.
Relocating to the east side of the street might mean we will be
standing on a narrow sidewalk or on the grassy knoll. We will just have
to see how it all works out.
Perhaps we will want to reassess for the future after we see how
Saturday goes.

So see you across from the barricades at Main and Neil Saturday May 5
from 2-4.
Sounds like there is no stopping "progress"..........
Story link below:
JAN K

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/print/2007/05/01/
construction_starts_today_on_m_project/

Construction starts today on M2 project
By Mike Monson

Tuesday May 1, 2007

CHAMPAIGN – Downtown Champaign will become a construction zone again,
starting today, with work beginning in earnest on the nine-story M2 on
Neil building.

The long-anticipated $41 million project is expected to take two years
to complete.

Mayor Jerry Schweighart said at Monday's groundbreaking ceremony that
there will be some inconvenience associated with M2's construction, but
that the benefits to the city are many.

"The parking (problems), we'll get through it," he said. "To get the
enhancements with these buildings, it's worth it."

The mixed-use building will be located just west of Neil Street,
between Hill and Church streets.

M2 is being developed by One Main Development, a Champaign-based group
that focuses on mixed-use downtown properties in midsized communities.
Jon "Cody" Sokolski, Mike Royse and Mary Ann Royse are principals in
the company.

This is One Main Development's second project in downtown Champaign.
The firm developed the One Main Plaza building in 2004, at a cost of
$20 million, just east of the proposed M2 on Neil.