[Peace] Fw: Draw a line in the sand on Iraq

linda f weber lweber0311 at insightbb.com
Fri Nov 16 00:01:58 CST 2007

Sign the Iraq petition
holy light, shine
holy fire, dance
Spirit of God
----- Original Message -----
From: Dick Durbin
To: linda weber
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:33 PM
Subject: Draw a line in the sand on Iraq

                  Dear linda,

                        Tell Congress: Sign the Petition >>

                  I am proud to have been one of 23 Senators to vote against the Iraq War back in 2003, and I have never doubted or regretted that vote. Since that vote, four years ago, I have aggressively fought for a new strategy for Iraq, while approving emergency defense appropriations to ensure our men and women had the supplies they needed to prevail on the battlefield.

                  These appropriations bills have presented me with some of the most difficult votes of my career. With each war funding vote, I have asked myself this question:  What would I want Congress to do if it were my son or daughter riding through the streets of Baghdad, or Samarra, or Fallujah?

                  Reflecting on my most recent trip to Iraq this past summer, I feel overwhelmed by the tragedy the Bush Administration has created for Iraq, for its neighbors, for America's image around the world, and for our troops. Four million Iraqis have been driven from their homes by the violence there, and day-to-day living has become unbearably grim. Despite the loss of more than 3,800 brave American soldiers, the wounding of 28,000 more, and spending more than $450 billion, now the White House is requesting an additional $196 billion, including a $50 billion 'bridge fund' that they want immediately, to continue its war in Iraq.

                  Congress can't give President Bush another blank check for his war in Iraq. The Constitution gives Congress a means to force the President to change course:  the power of the purse. For the sake of our long-term national security interests, Congress must use that authority now.

                  Sign my petition urging my Senate colleagues to draw a line in the sand and use the power of the purse to end the war in Iraq!

                  I used to believe this war was our worst foreign policy mistake in a generation.  Now I believe it is our worst foreign policy mistake ever.  General Petraeus's testimony earlier this summer convinced me all the more that we cannot continue funding such a mistaken war unless that funding is tied to legislation that starts bringing our troops home.

                  Let's not kid ourselves: Each time Congress votes to unconditionally fund the Iraq War with emergency "supplemental" packages, we are re-authorizing the President to conduct this endless war as he chooses, with no strings attached.  Before I vote for another de-facto reauthorization bill, it must include language that clearly begins to bring this war to an end.

                  It's time to draw a line in the sand.  And I hope you'll help me ask my colleagues to join us.

                  Sign my petition urging my Senate colleagues to draw a line in the sand and use the power of the purse to end the war in Iraq!

                  As I flew into Baghdad on my recent visit to Iraq, one soldier asked me, "Would those senators voting for the war consider living a soldier's life for one day?" He continued, "If they did they would realize what a mistake this war is."

                  We must end this war.  Please help me do it.

                  Sincerely,

                  Dick Durbin
                  U.S. Senator

                  P.S.  As Assistant Majority Leader, I'd like to show my colleagues that tens of thousands of Americans support our efforts to use Congress' power of the purse to end the war.  Sign my petition now - so I can share the results with the Senate this week!

                  Visit DickDurbin.com | Sign the Petition

                        Paid for by Friends of Dick Durbin
                        101 West Grand Ave. #200
                        Chicago, IL 60610

                  Invite your friends & family to join Dick Durbin's campaign today!
                   Tell-a-friend!

                  If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Friends of Dick Durbin.

                  This message was sent to lweber0311 at insightbb.com. Visit your subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To stop ALL email from Friends of Dick Durbin, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove or unsubscribe" in the subject line).