[Peace] Fwd: [stop] Action Alert *Take Back the Union* and Debrief

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:51:13 CDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Treva Ellison <trevaellison at gmail.com>
Date: Sep 18, 2007 4:57 PM
Subject: [stop] Action Alert *Take Back the Union* and Debrief
To: stop at iresist.org, coalition at iresist.org

Hello all,

This email is an invitation to join in a solidarity action with other
socially conscious and concerned students, faculty, staff, and
community members next Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 12pm on the
Quad.

The Office of the Chancellor recently launched an initiative called
"Inclusive Illinois," with the mantra of "One Campus, Many Voices."
Ironically students, workers, and community members, especially those
belonging to racialized marginalized groups, have historically been
systemically alienated from decision making processes.  "One
Campus,Many Voices," is the latest propaganda initiative designed to
create
the illusion of diversity but to maintain the status quo of "business as
usual."

We can not afford to wait until the next catastrophic event of racism,
the next big hate crime, or the next painful act of denigration. The
daily functioning of this institution, in and of itself, is the
current, ongoing big act of oppression. The time for reactionary
politics is over. The time for fear is over. The time for action is now.

We have to start the process of decolonizing ourselves and this
campus. As a first step, come and reclaim the "Student" Union as a
public space for students, workers and community members. We are
technically not allowed to have a demonstration in the union, but to
truly make this an inclusive campus, we have to be willing to test
boundaries, break the culture of silence and make our voices heard.

Again, Wednesday, September 19 at 12pm:

1) Meet on the quad at 11:50
2) Enter the union with signs and noise makers
3) Surround the inner square of the union making a "solidarity wall"
4) March, chant, make noise, raise awareness and disrupt 'business as usual
5) Head over to Swanlund Admin Building
6) Back to the Quad

**It is important that everyone involved stick with the group. I will
make the call to leave. If we are approached by the police, we will
exit AS A GROUP and stay together to proceed to Swanlund Admin
Building.

**If someone who works at the union targets an individual and asks
what you're doing here and why, you should let them know and kindly
invoke the Chancellor's "One Campus, Many Voices" mantra" "This is the
campus and we, here are the many voices that need to be heard."

There will also be a debreifing session at 6:30 pm, on the day of the
action, Wednesday Sept 19, at the Krannert Center Amphitheatre to talk
about the action, next steps, and to give people the chance to support
those who will be protesting the NWC performance.

--
Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.
briandolinar at gmail.com