[Peace] Poverty referendum one of 3 max in Champaign?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 2 21:30:15 CDT 2008

At this meeting Champaign City Council member Tom Bruno asserted that the
Township meeting could place a total of only 3 referenda on the ballot --
*including* the poverty referendum.  We have been assuming that a binding
referendum would not count toward the limit of three referenda, since the others
are advisory.

We are assuming that three advisory referenda will be proposed April 8, on (a)
water municipalization, (b) government transparency, and (c) torture.  AWARE is
going to propose the third, as follows:

     "Given Representative Timothy Johnson's support for a bill outlawing
torture, which was vetoed by President Bush, shall the citizens of Champaign
Township urge all their Congressional representatives to renew their efforts to
pass such a bill?"

But we need to find out if it possible to add three to the poverty referendum,
or only two, given that the latter opinion is present in the City Council. --CGE