[Peace] Legislature is suppressing advisory referenda

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 12 21:46:19 CDT 2008

Apparently our use of the township advisory referenda has attracted the
attention of the Illinois General Assembly, and they have decided that this
embarrassing expression of popular opinion has to be put down.

The bill described below has been passed by the House (our local representatives
voting in favor) and sent to the Senate, where it has been referred to the Rules
committee. Its purpose is to make advisory referenda on national issues
impossible.

Note inter alia that the "procedure for voters to add an agenda item" is by
written petition, well before the annual meeting: we could not add referenda to
the agenda as we have.  Moreover, "only objects relevant to powers granted to
electors may be set forth"  -- i.e, nothing on the war, impeachment, torture, etc.

I suggest we publicize widely this disgusting bit of anti-democratic chicanery.
  Among other things, we need to get in touch with state senators and advise
groups like AWARE around the state to do the same thing. (And a little
excoriation of state reps might be in order, altho' it's after the fact; at
least we have another reason to vote against them when they come up for
re-election.) --CGE

===========

  Bill Status of HB5505  95th General Assembly
  Short Description:  TWP CD-AGENDA/MEETINGS

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Township Code. Requires the township board to adopt an annual meeting
agenda at least 10 days before the meeting. Provides a procedure for voters to
add an agenda item. Items not on the agenda must be considered at a special
meeting. In the statement of a special meeting, only objects relevant to powers
granted to electors may be set forth. Limits special meetings to the business
embraced in the statement and notice. Sets quorum requirements for special
meetings. Makes other changes. Effective immediately.

	Links to full text, etc., at
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=5505&GAID=9&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=36820&SessionID=51&GA=95