[Peace] Re: [Peace-discuss] Fwd: War is illegal - International Declaration

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Sun Apr 27 12:26:59 CDT 2008

I advise people to read the statement, which I repeat below (with a
few of the signees), and then decide whether you'd be willing sign on
to it, or whether AWARE should sign on. IMHO, it's excellent.  I
think some are so caught up in Manichean dichotomies of purity in
good and evil that they would hardly sign on to anything.  --mkb

War is illegal

Against a background of escalating ecological crises, and the fact
that large parts of the world´s population are being exposed to
extreme poverty, inhuman working conditions and increasing social
tensions, the annual global military expenditure has risen to more
than 1000 billion dollars.
The military-industrial complex of just a few G8 countries is
responsible for the overwhelming part of this spending, causing
incalcuable social and ecological consequences.

Unequal distribution of global resources, increasingly controlled by
large multinational companies, global debt policy and unfair
international trading practices ultimately could not be maintained
without military security. In many countries the military is used to
repress critical opposition.

The terror attacks of September 11, 2001 are increasingly used to
justify systematic surveillance and the dismantling of constitutional
rights. Even European countries have helped to establish Guantanomo-
like secret prisons, where torture in all probability takes place.

Iraq was attacked based on falsified evidence causing the death of
hundreds of thousands of people, widespread destruction,
destabilization and contamination with cancer-causing depleted
uranium munitions.
Now plans to attack Iran and the possibility of a new World War have
been made public, meeting resistance even from moderate elements
within the military due to the unforeseeable consequences.

Faced with the choice between a war, that according to some western
leaders, will last for many years or a possible peaceful
transformation we support the following demands:

1) Impeachment proceedings against US President Bush and US Vice
President Cheney before the 2008 election, a demand raised in
solidarity with large parts of the US public and some members of US
Congress. Furthermore prosecution by the International Court of
Justice of G. W. Bush, R. Cheney and other officials from various
countries for waging wars of aggression contrary to international law
and committing crimes against humanity.

2) International investigation of the September 11, 2001 terror
attacks. They are used as the central justification for the "War on
Terror", but well documented evidence shows that the official
explanation of 9/11 cannot be correct. International personalities in
science, politics, and culture, including high-ranking military
veterans, have called for a new investigation.

3) Immediate military withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq, and no
attack against Iran. International prohibition of war as a means of
conflict resolution. Military intervention and export of weapons
should be criminalized.
In a civilized society torture must be prohibited in any form.

4) Conversion of military industries to civilian purposes and the
development of ecological and sustainable energy resources. According
to the UN environmental agency, a fraction of the annual global
defence expenditure could ensure that all humans have access to clean
water and a basic supply of food and healthcare.

This statement is based on a commitment to non-violence and tolerance
of all ethnic groups and religions. Two devastating World Wars and
historical catastrophes like the Nazi Holocaust must always remind us
of the worst consequences of nationalism, racism and incitement to war.

Sign this statement, pass it on, whatever we can do. It is up to us.

to sign us the mailform or send email to support at war-is-illegal.org
or warisillegal at fastmail.fm

1400+ signatures (April, 25):
COOP - Heinrich Buecker - Art Cafe - Rochstr.3 - Berlin/Germany -
www.theCOOP.tv
Delabru - Fashion Store - Rochstr.5 - Berlin/Germany - www.delabru.de
David Swanson - Co-founder Impeachment Coalition- USA -
www.afterdowningstreet.org
Cynthia McKinney -US Presidential Candidate, Green Party 2008 USA -
runcynthiarun.org
CODEPINK Women for Peace - co-founder Gael Murphy- USA -
www.codepinkalert.org
Alexander Herrmann - Green Electricity - Berlin/Germany -
www.umweltsicher.de
Green Party of Washington State - Maryrose Asher, Chair - USA
-.www.wagreens.us
Sahira Awad - Hip Hop Artist - Berlin/Germany - www.imanimusic.de
Dr. Axel Troost - Member of German parliament - Bremen/Germany -
www.axeltroost.de
Arcanoa - Art Bar Cafe, Am Tempelhofer Berg 8 - Berlin/Germany -
www.arcanoa.de
The Peace Party - Non-violence, Justice, Environment, UK -
www.peaceparty.org.uk
World Depleted Uranium Centre e.V.-Prof. Dr. Schott -Berlin/Germany-
www.woduc.de
Jonah House - Community/Nonviolence/Resistance - Baltimore/USA -
jonahhouse.org
Desert Greens Green Party of Utah -The Peace Party- UT/USA -
www.desertgreens.org
Ko Un - Poet and Writer -Ansong/South Korea - www.koun.co.kr
Ayleen Gil- student - Bolivar, Venezuela
Food Not Bombs - co-founder Keith McHenry- NM/USA -www.foodnotbombs.net
Americans Against the War - France - www.aawfrance.org
Eckart Spoo - Editor of biweekly magazine "Ossietzky"- Berlin/Germany
- webpage
Janice Matthews -Mother Activist -Kansas/USA-www.911truth.org
Felicia Langer - Alternative Nobel Prize Laureate - Tüb./Germany -
www.felicia-langer.de
Paola Nugnes- architect - Napoli, Italy
Heike Haensel - Member of German parliament - Tüb./Germany -
www.heike-haensel.de
Nebraskans for Peace-Statewide peace & justice organization-Lincoln,
NE/USA -web
David King - Medical Practitioner - Brisbane, Australia
Frank Schwitalla - Chair, Network Cuba - Bremen/Germany- www.netzwerk-
cuba.de
Dietrich Kittner- Satirist - Hannover/Germany -www.dietrich-kittner.de
Grassrootsamerica4us - Founder Tina Richards - USA -
grassrootsamerica4us.org
Dr. Motte - Founder Loveparade, Musician, DJ - Berlin/Germany -
www.drmotte.de
Michael Parenti Ph.D. - political author & scholar - Berkeley, Cal./
USA - michaelparenti.org
Alan Greenberg - Writer - Film director - Portland, Oregon/USA
Judy Cameron - Food grower - Geelong, Australia
Nina Hagen - Musician, Actress - Los Angeles, USA- www.ninahagen.com
Joe Guerrero -Engineer- Valencia, California, USA
Otto ter Haar - De Groenen (Green Party) - Utrecht/Netherlands -
www.degroenen.nl
Frank Williams- visual artist/parent - Moscow, Russia -
www.frankwilliams.ru
Zulumbaye - painter - Dakar, Senegal - www.zulumbaye.com
Garlic & Grass-Tony Brasunas, Publisher-San Francisco/USA-
www.garlicandgrass.org
German Left Greens -Ralf Henze -Dannstadt/Germany-www.gruene-linke.de
Harold Barclay, PhD. - Prof. Anthropology University Alberta -
Edmonton/Canada
The Internationale of Military Draft Resisters- Berlin/Germany. - idk-
berlin.de
Katja Schneider-Deutzer Health Food Store, "Korrekter Konsum"-Köln,
Germany
Lärmquelle Records - Marcel Wojnarowicz --Oberhausen/Germany. -
diebandbreite.de
Petra Isabel Schlagenhauf - lawyer - Berlin, Germany
Combatants For Peace - Palestinian-Israeli Peace - Palestine -
combatantsforpeace.org
…