[Peace] "End of America" Mon 7pm CPL; Storytellers' Food Bank benefit Wed 7pm Iron Post

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 1 02:05:18 CST 2008

Two upcoming events:

* Monday Dec 1st, at 7:00PM (tonight!)
  at the Champaign Public Library's (Green & Randolph Sts.)
  Robeson Pavilion Rooms A & B,
  AWARE will show a film by author Naomi Wolf,

     "The End of America"

  This is a documentary made from Wolf's book tour of the same title.
  A quote from that book:

    “Recent history has profound lessons for us in the U.S. today about how
    fascist, totalitarian, and other repressive leaders seize and maintain power,
    especially in what were once democracies. The secret is that these leaders all
    tend to take very similar, parallel steps. The Founders of this nation were so
    deeply familiar with tyranny and the habits and practices of tyrants that they
    set up our checks and balances precisely out of fear of what is unfolding
    today. We are seeing these same kinds of tactics now closing down freedoms in
    America, turning our nation into something that in the near future could be
    quite other than the open society in which we grew up and learned to love
    liberty.”

* Wednesday, Dec. 3rd, 7:00PM
  at the Iron Post, 120 S. Race (Race & Main), Urbana

  C-U Storytelling Guild is doing a benefit storytelling session for...
  the Eastern Illinois Food Bank ($5 and up donation)

  I don't know who'll be performing, but they've never disappointed yet.

  Please come and support the Food Bank!