[Peace] Should AWARE hold a "Renewing America's Promise" event for peace? [Events around MLK day -- accepting postings through 12/31]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 27 14:48:24 CST 2008

Though this isn't an action yet, we could make it one, and I think it's
a good opportunity.  Followups set to peace-discuss in case anyone would
like to talk about this.

The Obama Inauguration Committee invites organizations around the country to
hold national-day-of-service events on any of Jan 17/18/19, under the title
Renewing America's Promise.  Groups might have speakers, or organize
volunteers doing work, or whatever.

The focus is on Martin Luther King Day, Jan. 19th.

So...  Should AWARE hold an event in the service of peace and
opposition to war?  How better to remember the legacy of King?

If we want to schedule anything and get it included in the nationwide list --
which I think is worthwhile, as it'd get us broader attention than just doing and
advertising our own thing locally -- we need to cook up an announcement
and post it by *Dec. 31st*.

They ask for fairly specific information -- not just the event description,
but a local lead contact person, organization name & address, etc.

Again, replies set by default to peace-discuss - please don't reply to
the peace list.

   Stuart

P.S. Heard about this from the Sierra Club, who are trying to organize
such events nationwide.