[Peace] Fwd: [Imc] American Blackout: IMC Film Night Tomorrow Night 7PM

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 11:47:35 CST 2008

American Blackout
Ian Inaba •  2006 •  84 minutes
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492443/

An explosive, eye-opening look at democracy today and how the
African-American vote has been manipulated and disenfranchised in
recent elections.

Does every vote count in America? Apparently not in the 21st century.
This 2006 Sundance Film Festival winner takes a disturbing look at the
ways in which the African-American vote has been manipulated and
disenfranchised in American elections. From the outrageous maneuvers
in Florida in 2000 to the Republican efforts to unseat controversial
Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, it's all too clear our "by the
people, for the people" democracy is in jeopardy.

Every 1st Wednesday of the month from 7PM to 10PM your local
Independent Media Center will help you break from the herd and host
amateur, semi-pro and professional short and feature length
independent films with a some sort of cultural, political, activist,
and social message.

The event is free and open to all ages. We ask that you give a
donation when we pass the hat/jar/cup/whatever around each night,
bring an open mind, suggest films for future showings, and if you are
bringing children know they may get some exposure. Drinks and food may
or may not be present depending on if we (that includes you) bring
any.

Be sure and come on out to the U-C IMC located at 202 S. Broadway,
Urbana, IL 61801 (the old downtown Post Office) to this monthly event.
Be prepared to socialize and network with people with a passion for
art, film, and our local community.

Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.
Urbana, IL 61801