[Peace] CIMIC Event list: Video lectures and lecture series

Naeem Sheikh nsheikh at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 10 16:40:34 CST 2008

Greetings dear friends in East Central Illinois,

I am sending this out to inform about two series of events -- one is a
dialogue series spread out over the next two months and the other is a
video series over the coming week. During the coming week, there is
also an art show reception.

Succinct details follow.

Best regards,
Naeem Sheikh
Outreach Committee
Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center
www.cimic.org

Video Lecture Series
--------------------

Feb 11th  : Empire of Faith (PBS)
  Digital Computer Lab 1320, 6 pm

Feb 12th  : Legacy of Prophet (PBS)
  Digital Computer Lab 1310, 6 pm

Feb 13th  : The Hajj (National Geographic)
  Digital Computer Lab 1310, 6 pm

Feb 14th: American Ramadan
  Digital Computer Lab 1310, 6 pm

Feb 15th: The Message (Starring Anthony Quinn)
  Digital Computer Lab 1310, 6 pm

Digital Computer Lab (DCL) is located at 1340  W. Springfield Ave.

FREE PIZZA served each day

Art Show Reception
------------------

Collection of Islamic Art Pieces
Ebru Show (Turkish water marbling)
Calligraphy Presentation
Henna Body Art
Live Saz Music
Geometric Patterns in Islamic Art
Presentations and Demonstrations

Mediterranean Snacks and Beverages will be served

Feb 13th, Starting at 6:00 pm
at the Asian American Culture Center
1210 West Nevada Street

Presented by Intercultural Friendship Foundation. IFF is a U of I
Student Organization.

Inter-Religious Dialogue Series
-------------------------------

On four evenings in February, March, and April, members from a wide
variety of local religious communities will gather to share their
perspectives on a number of religious issues of common interest.

Speakers from Buddhist, Catholic, Hindu, Jewish, Mennonite, Muslim,
Presbyterian and Unitarian Universalist traditions will have a
conversation with everyone present contributing their questions, their
ideas, and their thoughts.

The goal of these gatherings is not only to broaden our understanding
of the diverse religions practiced in Urbana-Champaign, but also to
provide an opportunity for fellowship among neighbors in our
international community. Please join us!

Session One:  What Is God?

We will explore the concept of God, our relationships with God, and
Gods creatures.

When:    Thursday, February 7th, 7 p.m.
Where:   Unitarian Universalist Church, 309 West Green Street, Urbana

Session Two:  Sources of Faith

We will speak about the sources of our religions including the
earliest practitioners, and the basic beliefs they professed.

When:  Thursday, February 21st, 7 p.m.
Where: Unitarian Universalist Church, 309 West Green Street, Urbana

Session Three:  Sharing One's Faith

We will discuss how we share our respective religious traditions with
others and the issue of proselytizing.

When:   Thursday, March 6th, 7 p.m.
Where:  Unitarian Universalist Church, 309 West Green Street, Urbana

Session Four:  The Problem of Evil and Theodicy

We will share how, despite our faith in a benevolent God and/or
universe, evil exists.  What is evil, and how can we make sense of it?
Who is responsible for our good deeds and bad deeds?

When:  Thursday, April 3rd, 7 p.m.
Where: Unitarian Universalist Church, 309 West Green Street, Urbana

If you have questions, please contact Axel Gehrmann (384-8862,
minister at uuc-urbana.org), or Aziz Yuldashev of IFF
(ayuldashev at gmail.com or iffuiuc at gmail.com).

Sponsored by:
- The Intercultural Friendship Foundation (IFF)
- The Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign
- The Hillel Foundation/Marjorie & Louis Cohen Center for Jewish Life
- Sinai Temple