[Peace] Engineers Without Borders -- UIUC presents cool environmentally friendly and globally conscious events

Katia Sussman sussman2 at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 11 22:37:02 CST 2008

  Hello.  My name is Katia and I am the outreach coordinator for Engineers
Without Borders (EWB) -- UIUC student chapter.  We are a non-profit
humanitarian organization established to partner with developing countries
worldwide in order to improve their quality of life by implementing
sustainable engineering projects, while involving and training
internationally responsible students.  We also educate about renewable
energy and sustainable technology within the Urbana-Champaign community by
hosting lectures and workshops and doing cool environmentally friendly
engineering demos at local schools.  Preservation of our natural environment
and compassion for all living things are integral steps towards peace on
earth, so I think you fellow fighters for this world will enjoy some of
these events supported by EWB.  Thank you.

*Tour of the First Ever U.S. Passivhaus*

Engineers Without Borders and Students for Environmental Concerns are
co-hosting a tour of the US Passive House in Urbana on Feb 16th, this event
is open to all.  We highly encourage you to participate and learn more about
sustainable building and see the future of green architecture.

We'll meet at 10am on Saturday, February 16th in the Courtyard Cafe in the
Illini Union and walk or carpool to the house.  For more information, check
out this link:

   http://www.passivehouse.us/passiveHouse/PHIUSHome.html

Models to Bricks: An Integrative Approach to Sustainable Architecture

 Wednesday, Feb 13 8:00pm in 269 Everitt Lab on the UIUC campus

and Lead Architect on the New UIUC College of Business Building will speak
to us on Sustainable Architecture, and the design of the Business Building
as well as another LEED High-Rise building by his firm in New York City.

     Biofuels and the World Food Situation
February 14, 2008
Thursday, 4:00pm
Knight Auditorium, Spurlock
Museum<http://webtools.uiuc.edu/ricker/CampusMap?target=search&building=373>
600 South Gregory Street, Urbana

Joachim von Braun <http://www.ifpri.org/srstaff/vonbraunj.asp>
Director General, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington,
DC

 Using more of the world's crops as energy sources could threaten food
supplies to those people who are most in need, especially at prices that are
competitive on the world market. Joachim von Braun assesses opportunities
and risks in the development of bioenergy to discuss the changing role of
the United States in assisting famine intervention worldwide.

Sustainable Water Development Project for Rural Guatemala Fundraising
Banquet and Auction  Friday, Feb 15 - 6:00pm to 9:00pm
 Location: University YMCA; 1001 S Wright St.
 Cost: $18

All proceeds go to the Guatemala Water Supply Project.

Engineers without Borders will host its first annual fundraising banquet and
auction to be held in the dining room of the University YMCA. The evening
will include a buffet of pasta (There will be vegan food available:), salad
and desserts, live music performed by students from the music department, a
silent auction generously supported by local businesses, and a raffle with a
plethora of gift cards and other goodies. A presentation will also be given
detailing our most recent travel experience to supply water to a rural
village in Guatemala. Tickets are on sale now at the front desk of the YMCA
or you can buy your ticket at the door. They are $18 each and include a free
raffle ticket.

Tickets are now available for purchase at the front desk of the YMCA or you
can purchase them at the door!

6:00 PM Reception with Live Music
7:00 PM Dinner and Presentation on Guatemala Trip
8:30 PM Raffle and End of Auctions

Event Sponsors:

Illini Basketball Team
Té Shûrt
Dick's Sporting Goods
Noodles & Company
O'Charley's
Illini Union Bookstore
Strawberry Fields
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Tang Dynasty
Many good friends and family

Also up for auction are seats for a night of food and entertainment with
some of your favorite professors. Professor Keane and Professor Rockett
invite you to their humble abodes and guarantee to offer you dining service
like you've never experienced it before.