[Peace] today

john martirano johnmartirano at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 17:12:21 CDT 2008

The characterization of the Urbana/Champaign dichotomy sounds like the
Blue/Red State discourse we hear too much of in the Media.  It is
overly simplistic and divisive and encourages the existing
political/social segregation in this community.  For years it has
permeated the conversations i have with progressive Urbana residents.
"You live in Champaign??? Why???!" As if the air smells different, as
if the bikeride to the food co-op were not negligible from about
anywhere in this town, as if we were large and separated enough to
need 2 administrations in this community (3 with the University). As
if Urbana needs progressive energy more than Champaign?!

The pattern you see on Florida probably has as much to do with
chief-loving sports fans who park at and identify with the Assembly
Hall and Memorial Stadium, and the broader Florida ave and more
sparse, distant crowd there.  Whereas a lot of University folk live
around Lincoln avenue and progressive residents from Champaign and
Urbana are more likely to identify with campus and community spots in
that area like Krannert than the Stadium and sports barrios.