[Peace] Fwd: Nearly 300 US Congregations Display Anti-Torture Banners

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 22:46:00 CDT 2008

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: National Religious Campaign Against Torture <nrcatlist at nrcat.org>
Date: Jun 5, 2008 4:22 PM
Subject: Nearly 300 US Congregations Display Anti-Torture Banners
To: barkes at gmail.com

TORTURE IS A MORAL ISSUE

Dear NRCAT Friends:

Appended below is the press release that was just sent to our press
contacts detailing the launch of our Banners Across America project in
a press telephone conference call that took place earlier today. Check
our website (http://www.nrcat.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=157)
tomorrow, June 6, to download the MP3 file to listen to the press
conference.

NRCAT still has banners available for purchase on our website
(http://www.nrcat.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=152&Itemid=151)
for congregations who want to join the "nearly" 300 congregations
displaying anti-torture banners during June.

Thank you again for your efforts to end U.S.-sponsored torture..

Rev. Richard Killmer
 Executive Director, NRCAT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 5, 2008

Contact: Rev. Richard Killmer (202) 547-1920; (207) 450-7242 cell
                  John Humphries (860) 216-7972 cell; jhumphries at nrcat.org

Nearly 300 Congregations Across the United States - Representing All
50 States and the District of Columbia - Display Anti-Torture Banners
in June

National Religious Campaign Against Torture (NRCAT) introduces and
describes "Banners Across America" initiative in June 5 telephone
press conference

WASHINGTON, DC - Today, the National Religious Campaign Against
Torture (NRCAT) launched its Banners Across America initiative in a
telephone press conference describing the nationwide anti-torture
banner campaign taking place during the month of June. Hundreds of
congregations across the United States have joined this campaign in an
effort to mobilize the American faith community in opposition to
U.S.-sponsored torture. The "Banners Across America" initiative,
organized by NRCAT, is timed to allow local congregations to
participate in a nationwide, interfaith public witness during Torture
Awareness Month.

To date, 298 congregations, located in all 50 states and the District
of Columbia, are participating in this effort by displaying
anti-torture banners during the month of June. Most of the large,
vinyl banners are black-and-white and have anti-torture messages:
"Torture is Wrong" and "Torture is a Moral Issue."

The Rev. Richard Killmer, NRCAT's Executive Director, opened the press
conference. "We are thrilled that almost 300 congregations have made a
significant and courageous witness in their community by displaying an
anti-torture banner on the exterior of their building. In a public way
these congregations are stating clearly that torture is always wrong -
without any exceptions.  These powerful witnesses may hasten the day
when we see the end of U.S.-sponsored torture," he said.

Linda Gustitus, NRCAT's President highlighted the following
organizational goals:

Stop the use of torture techniques by the CIA.

Close secret prisons

Stop rendition for torture

Hold our government accountable for what we have done. NRCAT has
called for a Select Committee of Congress to investigate all aspects
of U.S. sponsored torture post 9/11.

"Torture is not a political issue," emphasized Ms. Gustitus. "Whether
you're for or against torture shouldn't depend upon whether you're for
or against the President, the war or a particular party. Torture is a
moral issue. It is immoral to use torture, and it is immoral to
condone it -- affirmatively or silently. Torture destroys the very
soul of our nation and it must be stopped."

Rev. Chris Grapentine, Pastor of Northside Community Church in Ann
Arbor, MI, described the successful efforts in that city to engage a
diverse group of congregations in this public witness. The 13
participating groups include churches of several denominations, a
Jewish group, and a Buddhist temple.

"The banner will show our neighbors that we stand against the inhumane
treatment of all people, even our enemies, because Jesus calls us to
love our enemies," said Rev, Grapentine, whose congregation is an
American Baptist Church.

Rabbi Rachel Kahn-Troster of Rabbis for Human Rights North America
noted that 27 Jewish congregations across the country are
participating in the banner project, displaying a special banner that
features the message "Honor the Image of God: Stop Torture Now."

"The strong response of the Jewish community to the banner project
demonstrates that we believe that stopping torture is a Jewish
religious imperative," stated Rabbi Kahn-Troster. "As a community who
has historically been a victim of torture and oppression, we are
compelled by our values to identify with the plight of the stranger
and work to ensure k'vod habriot, the dignity of every human being.
Torture denies that every person is created b'tzelem elohim, in the
image of God. The synagogues hanging the banner are sending a message
to our government that Jews regard torture as an affront to their
Jewish values."

Participants on today's telephone press conference included:

Rev. Richard Killmer. Executive Director, National Religious Campaign
Against Torture

Linda Gustitus, President, National Religious Campaign Against Torture

John Humphries, Director for Program Coordination, National Religious
Campaign Against Torture

Mohamed Elsanousi, Director of Communications & Community Outreach,
Islamic Society of North America and NRCAT Board Member

Rabbi Rachel Kahn-Troster, Director of Education and Outreach, Rabbis
for Human Rights North America

Rev. Chris Grapentine, Pastor, Northside Community Church, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Follow this link to see a list of participating congregations:

http://www.nrcat.org/storage/nrcat/documents/banner_list_6-5-08.pdf

Follow this link to see a photo gallery of more than 50 of the
anti-torture banners in place:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nrcat-banners

 A recording of today's press conference is available on the NRCAT website.

[For specific details about the location(s) of the banners and local
contact information, please contact John Humphries using the phone and
e-mail information above.]

For more information about the campaign

Click "Banners Across America" at www.tortureisamoralissue.org

# # #

The National Religious Campaign Against Torture (NRCAT) is a growing
membership organization committed to ending U.S.-sponsored torture,
and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment. Since its formation in
January 2006, more than 190 religious groups have joined NRCAT,
including representatives from the Roman Catholic, evangelical
Christian, mainline Protestant, Unitarian, Quaker, Orthodox Christian,
Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, and Sikh communities. Members include
national denominations and faith groups, regional organizations and
local congregations

You have received this message because you endorsed the "Torture is a
Moral Issue" statement of the National Religious Campaign Against
Torture OR you signed up to receive more information from NRCAT.

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, please click here to
unsubscribe from this mailing list.

Questions? Please email campaign at nrcat.org
 National Religious Campaign Against Torture: www.tortureisamoralissue.org