[Peace] ANTI-I69 TREE SIT EVICTED, POLICE RECKLESSLY PULL PROTESTERS FROM TREE TOPS

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 14:14:37 CDT 2008

>From the US-IMC newswire. BD

ANTI-I69 TREE SIT EVICTED, POLICE RECKLESSLY PULL PROTESTERS FROM TREE TOPS

abstract:
June 20th 7am, Evansville Indiana -- In the early morning hours of June
20th,
around 25 police officers from the Indiana State Police (ISP), Indiana
Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and the Gibson County Sheriff's
office descended on the scene of the anti-I69 tree sit, just south of
State Road 68 in southern Gibson County (20 miles north of Evansville).
They worked quickly to forcibly and recklessly evict the two tree
sitters from the trees. After reaching the ground they were arrested,
having their faces smeared in poison ivy in the process. The whereabouts
of the ground support crew is still unknown. Visit
http://stopi69.wordpress.com for more information

Body:
June 20th 7am, Evansville Indiana -- In the early morning hours of June
20th,
around 25 police officers from the Indiana State Police (ISP), Indiana
Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and the Gibson County Sheriff's
office descended on the scene of the anti-I69 tree sit, just south of
State Road 68 in southern Gibson County (20 miles north of Evansville).
The police officers, many of them trained specifically for this
purpose, brought in "cherry pickers" and other platform raising
equipment in order to reach the sitters. The two people in the trees at
the time of eviction were lowered to the ground, after being forcefully
and dangerously approached by Conservation Officers of the IDNR.

Sitting
on platforms suspended 40 feet above the ground, the tree-sitters were
not in positions from which they could be easily and safely removed.
Arresting officers' reckless behaviors, however, resulted in
protesters' quick eviction.  One protester was not attached to a
safety line during the eviction,  but was still hostilely handled by
the Conservation Officers.  As they reached her with the cherry picker,
they pulled her unattached to anything that would have prevented her
tumbling to the ground, putting her life in great danger.

After
evicting the first sitter, officers moved on to the second. They raised
the cherry picker below the platform to threaten the sitter, and then
lifted the platform with the cherry picker.  They proceeded to cut the
support line that was holding it in the tree. This protester had locked
himself onto the ropes using a "lock box" device intended to help him
evade eviction. The officers cut that rope, leaving this protester also
without any form of safety.

After the tree-sitters were forcibly removed from their tree top
positions, they were lowered,
cuffed and placed on the ground below the trees. From a telephone
recording made during the eviction, it is clear that the arresting
officers purposefully laid one of the protesters face down into a patch
of poison ivy.

People not involved in the tree-sit eviction this
morning have reported to the media office that state police officers
are pulling people over on the state highways in the vicinity of the
sit.  One person reports that they were surrounded by 5 police vehicles
when stopped. As well, it has been reported that one car had its tires
blown out by the state police in order for them to arrest all of the
occupants of that vehicle.

The
information in this press release was compiled by the I-69 Media
Office, an independent anti-I69 media clearinghouse.

links:
http://stopi69.wordpress.com

picture links:
http://stashbox.org/119436/i69SiteThreeBanners.jpg

--0-990750495-1213972786=:80406

york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div><span style="font-weight:
bold;">header:</span><br>INDIANA, UNITED STATES- ANTI I-69 TREE
TREE SIT EVICTED, POLICE RECKLESSLY PULL PROTESTERS FROM TREE
style="border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204); cursor: pointer;"
class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1213968115_3">June 20th 7am</span>, Evansville
Indiana -- In the early morning hours of <span style="border-bottom: 1px
dashed rgb(0, 102, 204); cursor: pointer;" class="yshortcuts"
id="lw_1213968115_4">June 20th</span>,
around 25 police officers from the Indiana State Police (ISP), Indiana
Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and the Gibson County Sheriff's
office descended on the scene of the anti-I69 tree sit, just south of
State Road 68 in southern Gibson County (20 miles north of Evansville).
They worked quickly to forcibly and recklessly evict the two tree
sitters from the trees. After reaching the ground they were arrested,
having their faces smeared in poison ivy in the process. The whereabouts
of the ground support crew is still unknown. Visit
http://stopi69.wordpress.com for more information<br><br><span
style="font-weight: bold;">Body:</span><br><span style="border-bottom:
1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204); cursor: pointer;" class="yshortcuts"
id="lw_1213968115_3">June 20th 7am</span>, Evansville Indiana -- In the
early morning hours of <span style="border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(0,
102, 204); cursor: pointer;" class="yshortcuts"
id="lw_1213968115_4">June 20th</span>,
around 25 police officers from the Indiana State Police (ISP), Indiana
Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and the Gibson County Sheriff's
office descended on the scene of the anti-I69 tree sit, just south of
State Road 68 in southern Gibson County (20 miles north of Evansville).
The police officers, many of them trained specifically for this
purpose, brought in "cherry pickers" and other platform raising
equipment in order to reach the sitters. The two people in the trees at
the time of eviction were lowered to the ground, after being forcefully
and dangerously approached by Conservation Officers of the <span
style="border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204); background:
transparent none repeat scroll 0% 50%; cursor: pointer;
-moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin:
-moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"
on platforms suspended 40 feet above the ground, the tree-sitters were
not in positions from which they could be easily and safely removed.&nbsp;
Arresting officers' reckless behaviors, however, resulted in
protesters' quick eviction.&nbsp;&nbsp; One protester was not attached to a
safety line during the eviction,&nbsp; but was still hostilely handled by
the Conservation Officers.&nbsp; As they reached her with the cherry picker,
they pulled her unattached to anything that would have prevented her
tumbling to the ground, putting her life in great
danger.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>After
evicting the first sitter, officers moved on to the second. They raised
the cherry picker below the platform to threaten the sitter, and then
lifted the platform with the cherry picker.&nbsp; They proceeded to cut the
support line that was holding it in the tree. This protester had locked
himself onto the ropes using a "lock box" device intended to help him
evade eviction. The officers cut that rope, leaving this protester also
without any form of safety.<br><br>After the <span style="border-bottom:
1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204); cursor: pointer;" class="yshortcuts"
id="lw_1213968115_6">tree-sitters</span>
were forcibly removed from their tree top positions, they were lowered,
cuffed and placed on the ground below the trees. From a telephone
recording made during the eviction, it is clear that the arresting
officers purposefully laid one of the protesters face down into a patch
of poison ivy.<br><br>People not involved in the tree-sit eviction this
morning have reported to the media office that state police officers
are pulling people over on the state highways in the vicinity of the
sit.&nbsp; One person reports that they were surrounded by 5 police vehicles
when stopped. As well, it has been reported that one car had its tires
blown out by the state police in order for them to arrest all of the
occupants of that vehicle.<br><br>The
information in this press release was compiled by the I-69 Media
Office, an independent anti-I69 media clearinghouse. <br><br><span
style="font-weight:
style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">picture
links:<br></span>http://stashbox.org/119436/i69SiteThreeBanners.jpg<span

--0-990750495-1213972786=:80406--

Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.