[Peace] What does being a Christian mean when there's social injustice?

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:29:13 CDT 2008

[image: The News-Gazette.com]   Bad decision does not excuse police Friday
May 2, 2008

What does being a Christian mean when there's social injustice?

With all due respect, when we will stop questioning someone's faith when it
is suggested that there is racial injustice? It still exists in Champaign
County. The president of the local branch of the NAACP has: 1) gone on
ride-along with the police; 2) provided widely distributed information
through the national and the local education committee on how youths should
interact with the police; 3) offered the police and other officials his
insight through the Champaign County Community Relations Committee (which
gives statistics on stops by race, gender, etc.).

So there is proactive activity and dialogue going on, but it still does not
make right the latest verdict on young Mr. Chesley. Was he guilty of being
young and not making the wisest decision? Yes. At 17, what unwise choices
did you make that got you into trouble at one time or another?

The bigger picture here is why there seems to be a greater percentage of
African-Americans being targeted over members of other groups. Explain that
one. And yes, we are Christians, even the more reason why we should "cry
loud and spare not."

JUAN B. CHAMBERS

Champaign

--