[Peace] Let's join together to remember and celebrate Grandpa

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 15:34:02 CDT 2008

As many of you know, on Sunday June 15 from 2-4PM at the Independent Media
Center (202 S. Broadway, Urbana), the community will come together to
honor, celebrate and memorialize Robert J. "Grandpa" Wahlfeldt, who left
us all earlier this year on March 26.

For those of us who knew him, we'll have time and space to reminisce and
tell stories of how he affected us. And for those of us who didn't have
the opportunity to really get to know him, this is also a chance to learn
more about his special importance as a friend and social justice activist.
All are encouraged to come and speak about Bob in whatever way they are
moved or just be a part of the celebration as a witness

And there will be a ceremony to permanently dedicate the downstairs
meeting room in his name as "The Grandpa Wahlfeldt Family Room". There
will be a display case permanently mounted in Bob's new room with items
and photos from his life.

We are also putting out a call for folks to contribute photos, articles,
mementos and memorabilia of Bob that they would like to have on display in
his new room. A group of us are committed to installing whatever is
necessary in terms of display cases to make this happen.

And in particular, if you want to write a letter to Bob to show what he
meant to you, we'll make sure it gets securely displayed in Bob's new
room.

There will be videotaping to record this event for posterity.

But we need folks to help out. If you'd like to help us organize, please
let us know - the more folks we have, the better - we're pretty small
right now - Danielle, Barbara, Jan/Durl and myself. We also need folks to
take on specific things, like:

1. Bring one or more snacks (munchies like chips, cheese, crackers, fruit,
    veggies and desserts)
2. Bring drinks (like coffee, lemonade, iced tea, punch).
3. Arrange for cups/plates/utensils
4. Arrange for garbage & recycling
5. Help with setup one full hour before (starting 1PM)
6. Help with teardown a half hour after (until 4:30PM)

There will likely be more specialized tasks as well.

I've volunteered to coordinate - please reply to me (not this mailing
list, unless you really want to 8-), let me know how you'd like to
contribute and I'll help however I can to make it easy.

PS:  If phone contact is more convenient, reach me at 351-8644 (home) or
722-8470 (cell).