[Peace] News-Gazette Story worth reading 11/09/08

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 10:54:49 CST 2008

Activist 'works tirelessly when he believes in a cause'
Sunday November 9, 2008

CHAMPAIGN – Randall Cotton has closely cropped hair, wears serious
wire-rim glasses and dresses somewhat conservatively. He speaks
precisely and succinctly, like the computer engineer he is.

Abbie Hoffman he's not.

But Cotton, a 43-year-old Champaign resident, is every bit the
committed, decidedly left-wing citizen activist.

"A lot of what I do is not high profile," Cotton said. "I speak out
when necessary, but I'm not drawn to bringing attention to myself."

But in recent years, Cotton has quietly made himself felt on the local
progressive scene. He led a successful yearlong campaign to get Urbana
Public Television to carry the show "Democracy Now" in 2004.

He is active with AWARE, the Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort, that has led
local protests against the Iraq War. He's working to get more community
involvement in WEFT-FM, a community radio station.

And, most recently, he and fellow activists Martel Miller and Ricky
Baldwin tried to rally public support for a property tax increase for
City of Champaign Township, which dispenses a form of welfare, general
assistance, to the extremely poor.

Read more and photo at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/2008/11/09/
activist_works_tirelessly_when_he_believes_in_a_cause