[Peace] State Dept. Outsources Investigations of Contractor Crimes

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 08:54:38 CDT 2008

State Dept. Outsources Investigations of Contractor Crimes

The State Department is coming under new scrutiny for outsourcing to private
firms the task of investigating other private contractors for criminal
activity in Iraq. ABC News reports the Bureau of Diplomatic Security is now
relying on a company called U.S. Investigations Services—U.S.I.S.—to handle
the bulk of its probes. The most controversial investigation surrounds the
killings of seventeen Iraqi civilians by employees of the military firm
Blackwater Worldwide in Baghdad's Nisoor Square. The one-year anniversary of
the Nisoor Square massacre passed last month with not a single criminal
charge to date. According to ABC News, eight U.S.I.S. employees comprise the
majority of the Federal Investigations Unit, the government body formed to
probe contractor crimes.
--
Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.