[Peace] Tonight at 10, AOTA asks, Is there an election?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 7 17:38:14 CDT 2008

Tonight at ten o'clock on cable channel 6, AWARE ON THE AIR presents a select
company of AWAREists to consider the possibility that there will be a
plebiscitary ratification of ruling class choices in this polity in a month's time.

    --Surveying the modern improvements on methods said to have been used in
Illinois to steal the election from Richard Nixon in 1960, Linda Weber discusses
the mechanisms of securing a favorable ballot in the 21st century; faced with
demurral, Linda replies with assertions now set out by Greg Palast at
<StealBackYourVote.org>.

    --Quoting the gladiators' salute to the emperor, "Morituri te salutamus!"
(we who are about to die salute you), Ron Szoke delivers an appalling indictment
of the reign of suicide brought to us by our modern masters of war and the
economy (another of whom we're called upon to validate next month).

    --Citing a friend of AWARE (R. Naiman) and a friend of capitalism (D.
Aronoff), yr. obdt. servt. considers the "mystery about why the US Congress last
week approved the $700bn TARP (troubled asset relief programme), the largest
government expenditure in history," and the mysterious doings in Afghanistan on
the seventh anniversary of the US invasion:
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/on-invasion-anniversary-b_b_132628.html>;

<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/23cf189c-9408-11dd-b277-0000779fd18c.html>.

All this and more, as someone says, on UPTV tonight at ten, and soon at
<anti-war.net>.  --CGE

    "The population seems to grasp the nature of the performance.
    Right before the 2000 elections, about 75% regarded it as
    virtually meaningless, some game involving rich contributors,
    party managers, and candidates who are trained to project images
    that conceal issues but might pick up some votes – probably
    the reason why the 'stolen election' was an elite concern
    that did not seem to arouse much public interest;
    if elections have about as much significance as flipping a coin
    to pick the King, who cares if the coin was biased?"
	--Noam Chomsky, 2005

	###