[Peace] Report: Champaign's penurious funding of General Assistance

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 16 12:13:00 CDT 2008

I've put together a short report that describes new information I've
researched since my article in the current Public I (also see attached
chart image from the report). The closer I look at this, the more shocking
it becomes. When I first decided to research this, I figured I'd maybe
discover that surrounding communities fund General Assistance maybe 50%,
75% or perhaps even 100% better than Champaign, at most. But now that I've
drilled down this far, it turns out that

Urbana funds General Assistance about 730% higher than Champaign
Peoria is 1285% higher
Springfield 1745% higher
Bloomington 1866% higher

For the uninitiated, General Assistance (GA) is a state-mandated financial
aid program run by Illinois townships (which are subdivisions of
counties). It provides basic financial assistance to those who are in the
deepest of poverty (income less than $3000/year) who don't also qualify
for other state or federal aid. GA is the last-chance safety net for the
poorest, most vulnerable citizens in Illinois.  It typically offers a
maximum of $225 a month plus additional payments for basic medical care.
In Champaign, however, benefits were severely cut and half of all clients
were completely abandoned last year.

There is a referendum on the November ballot to raise property taxes by a
small amount - about $10 per year for every $150,000 of a property's
market value (and $150,000 is the median home value in Champaign). Due to
the property tax cap law, increases to township funding must be passed by
referendum. Though this won't even come close to bringing Champaign's GA
funding near those of surrounding communities, it will make a substantial
difference and will allow the partial restoration of the GA cuts that were
made last year.

Unfortunately, due to that same property tax cap law, the wording of the
referendum on the ballot gives no indication of what the tax increase is
for. It is only identified as a tax increase for the "City of Champaign
Township". Most people don't even know what a township is, let alone the
fact that it administers GA, let alone what GA is in the first place!
Voters need to be educated about the details and importance of passing
this referendum.

The Champaign City Council, in their dual oversight role as Township Board
Members, are in the best position to do this necessary education and
promotion. However, they have barely lifted a finger in this regard. It's
as if the City Council, as a whole, wants the referendum to fail.

In fact:

- despite the fact that: Bloomington (the most similar nearby township)
funds GA 1866% higher

- despite the fact that half of all Champaign GA clients were completely
cut last year

- despite the fact that the remaining clients had their benefits slashed
from $212/month to $150/month

- despite the fact that the tax increase is so tiny that most homeowners
would pay less than $10 per year (out of an annual tax bill of around
$3300)

- despite the fact that Champaign voters passed a Primary referendum (by
over 70%) that asked the Township "to restore the level of general
assistance funding by actively pursuing any and all means available to
them".

some members refuse to even state *any* support for the referendum! (among
them Deb Feinen and Karen Foster)

I don't think the referendum has a chance of passing unless all members of
the Township Board (AKA City Council) actually take steps to promote and
educate the public about the referendum through the media in the remaining
time before Election Day.

So I'm calling for Champaign residents (a few Urbana residents would be
OK, I think, since Urbana is adversely affected by Champaign's niggardly
treatment of the poor) to speak at next Tuesday's City Council meeting
during the public comment session (where any topic can be addressed). Next
Tuesday is the last opportunity to call out the City Council on this
matter (the next opportunity for public comment would be on Election Day).
Please read the article I submitted to the Public I (attached and also at
http://ucimc.org/node/3439 ) and the subsequent two-page comparison report
(also attached) to inform yourself on the issue and take the time to speak
at or at least attend the City Council meeting next week, Tuesday, 7PM at
the Champaign City Council Chambers, 102 N. Neil St. All members of the
public are generally allowed 5 minutes to speak on any topic.

Speaking at the City Council not only pressures the reluctant members to
support the referendum, it also serves to urge already-supporting  members
to do more - for instance to make a statement during the meeting in front
of the press (which is generally always in attendance). If enough folks
speak and enough City Council members respond, it will subsequently become
part of a story the next day in the papers and on the radio.

I'm also calling for folks to write letters to the editor for the Daily
Illini and the News Gazette to spotlight the issue. I think this is also
an essential step to inform Champaign voters about the matter.

Feel free to contact me or respond on this list - I'm happy to answer any
questions regarding this issue.