[Peace] Fw: [Mediamatters] Weekly Update for October 19, 2008

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 13:46:12 CDT 2008

To those not already on Bob's list...
If you're gonna pledge soon anyway, tomorrow betw 1 and 3p would be a good time to do that. Rread to the bottom for great archive info.
 --Jenifer

--- On Fri, 10/17/08, Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org> wrote:

Welcome to another edition of the WILL-AM Media Matters email update!

THIS WEEK'S SHOW
-------------------------------
This week's show is a Pledge Drive special, and will run from 12-2pm
Central Time (1-3pm EDT / 10am-midday PDT). We will be joined by
regular guest John Nichols, as well as special guests such as Prof.
Noam Chomsky.

Listeners can support our home station, WILL, by going to this website:
http://willpledge.org
Donors will have an opportunity to note their support for Media
Matters as part of the online process. You can also call to pledge at
(217) 244-9455.

NEWS FROM OUR GUESTS
-------------------------------
Naomi Klein, former Media Matters guest and author of The Shock
Doctrine, will be speaking October 29 at 7:30pm at the Smith Memorial
Hall, 800 S Matthews Ave, Urbana.

Former Media Matters guest Paul Krugman was the 2008 recipient of the
Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences. You can listen to Prof. Krugman on
Media Matters last December:
http://www.will.uiuc.edu/media/mediamatters071216.mp3
or in 2004:
http://www.will.uiuc.edu/media/mediamatters041212.mp3

This brings to two the number of Nobel laureates who have been guests
on Media Matters in the past year - Prof. Joseph Stiglitz, a previous
winner in economics, was a guest in April of this year.

Meanwhile, regular Media Matters guest Amy Goodman is one of this
year's winners of the Right Livelihood Award, sometimes referred to as
the Alternative Nobel Prize, and awarded to those "working on
practical and exemplary solutions to the most urgent challenges facing
the world today."

LAST WEEK'S SHOW
-------------------------------

Last week's guest was Robert Kuttner, editor of The American Prospect
magazine.

http://www.prospect.org

WHERE TO LISTEN TO MEDIA MATTERS
Media Matters originates from WILL-AM on the campus of the University
of Illinois, airing live from 1-2pm Central Time on Sunday
afternoons. Listeners are welcomed to pose questions to guests by
calling (217) 333-9455 or (800) 222-9455 during the show.

Media Matters can also be heard on the following stations:
KWMD-FM, Kasilof Alaska
- live at 10am Sunday, repeated 7pm Monday
- 90.7FM (Soldotna), 104.5 (Anchorage)

Valley Free Radio, WXOJ-LP, Northampton, Massachusetts
- 12pm Wednesday
- 103.3 FM
http://www.valleyfreeradio.org/

If you know of other stations airing Media Matters - or you plan to
broadcast the show yourself - please let us know so we can add you to
the list. If you would like to hear Media Matters on one of your
local stations please let them know, and put them in touch with us.

Media Matters is streamed live online. Check will.illinois.edu for
details.

ALL OF OUR PAST SHOWS ARE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE:

http://www.will.illinois.edu/am/mediamatters/
Our podcast is also available from NPR:
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_detail.php?siteId=5183226

MEDIA MATTERS UPDATES VIA TWITTER

You can now get notice of our upcoming guests via twitter. Just
subscribe to 'mediamatters' updates: http://twitter.com

NUTS and BOLTS
Bob McChesney's Media Matters show airing Sundays 1-2pm Central Time
on WILL-AM 580. If you do not wish to receive messages from
this list, email listproc at lists.prairienet.org.

If you know others who might want to be on this list, you
can direct them to http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/mediamatters/
for a link to the subscription service, or you can email
andrew at funferal.org

We hope you find the Media Matters Weekly Update to be
useful and informative, and we hope you'll encourage
everyone you know with an interest in the media to listen to
the show and subscribe to the list. If you have any
questions or suggestions on how to improve what we do with
this list, please email producer Andrew Ó Baoill at
andrew at funferal.org

Thanks again for listening!
--
Andrew Ó Baoill