[Peace] Raed Jarrar to be in Champaign-Urbana on Nov. 13

martin smith send2smith at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 18:50:52 CDT 2008

Greetings Urbana-Champaign Community Members,

On behalf of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) in Chicago, I would like to offer you the opportunity to host our Iraqi speaker, Raed Jarrar, in your classes on November 13th.

Raed is an Iraqi political analyst and consultant to AFSC's Iraq
Program currently based in Washington, D.C.  After the U.S.-led
invasion, Raed became the country director for CIVIC Worldwide, the
only door-to-door casualty survey group in post-war Iraq.  He then established Emaar, (meaning "reconstruction" in Arabic), a grassroots organization
that provided humanitarian and political aid to Iraqi internally
displaced persons.  Emaar delivered medicine and food as well as helped
initiate micro-enterprise projects.  Additionally, Emaar engaged in
political advocacy on behalf of displaced populations.

Raed now tours the U.S., speaking to many different audiences about the situation in Iraq.
 As he will be on campus at U of I all day on November 13th, we thought
we would open up his schedule to any professors, TAs, or high school teachers who might want him to
give talks to their classes.  Hearing about Iraq from the perspective
of an Iraqi citizen tends to engage students in the discussion much
more than reading about it or watching American media analysis.  Raed welcomes questions and dialogue from students and looks forward to meeting them on campus.

Please let me know if you are interested in Raed coming to your class.

Many thanks,

Jill Doub

Peacebuilding Program Associate

American Friends Service Committee