[Peace] Unity March 5 flyer and background

Lori A. Serb loriserb at loriserb.info
Thu Sep 18 22:54:20 CDT 2008

In February's primary election, 71% of Champaign Township voters
passed an advisory referendum asking the Township Trustees to restore
the level of general assistance. The funding is for the poorest of the
poor in Champaign. Let's keep that momentum going. Join us. Walk with
us on Saturday October Fourth at 11AM for the Fifth Annual Unity March
kicking off at the Champaign Township building on the corner of Green
and Randolph. Let's further demonstrate that we are a community that
cares by going to the polls on November 4th and voting Yes on the
Township referendum. Help our friends and neighbors who are in most
need. Join us. (flyer attached. please send questions to loriserb at loriserb.info
)

Lori

Background on UNITY MARCH

CU Citizens for Peace and Justice over the last 4 years have organized
the Unity March with various themes that emphasize community and
togetherness over war and destruction. Without strong, unified
communities we have weak governments that pass polices infringing upon
the rights of the people instead of protecting them. The Unity March
empowers the people who participate, educates them on issues that
affect them, and allows them to become more informed voters.

The Unity marches educate our children about who they are, where they
live and how to navigate the systems that govern them, so they will
not be herded sheep led blindlyinto a vicious cycle of poverty, the
penitentiary, or the cemetery. A democracy must have educated
Citizens, or it will soon turn into a dictatorship.

The Unity March transcends labels of race, class and sex. These are
man made constructs that divide us, the people. Therefore, we do not
allow arrogance and ignorance to hinder us from working harmoniously
on issues that plague our community. In fact, our agreement to work
lovingly and truthfully to educate ourselves and our fellow Citizens
is the glue that holds us together and is the spirit of the Unity March.