[Peace] Civilian Police Review Board process re-authorization

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:51:36 CDT 2009

Extremely thorough and reasonably accurate version of events, Ricky.  I wish
I was a resident of Urbana, so that my word would carry a bit more weight.
(I also wish I had a working vehicle.)

But yes, I concur:  the Urbana CPRB has done no outreach that I know
anything about.  And it is very much hamstrung by its inability to hire an
independent investigator and indeed by its statutory inability to conduct
independent investigations.

Also, the current members must be very, very timid, fearful of rocking the
boat in any way.  Back when we were researching all of this, the Chair of
the Iowa City CPRB (who was also CEO of their local Goodwill) told me that
even he was somewhat fearful of the police, and drove more cautiously and so
on.

John Wason

Below please find some dates for much-needed input on this.  I'd also