[Peace] How to locate AWARE table - turning the facts on their heads

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 31 15:47:56 CDT 2009

The "publication" was a flyer to be distributed outside a talk by Ted Koppell,
which was accurately labeled as produced by members of AWARE, who distributed
it.  There had been an AWARE meeting beforehand at which some members had said
that we shouldn't be criticizing PBS because it was the best media we had.

The "behavior [that was] widely questioned" at the Obama rally was again the
distribution of a flyer.

I "became belligerent" in the sense that I insisted on answering accounts of the
Obama rally when the chair of the meeting insisted that I must not, because only
"factual" accounts of the event would be entertained.

Ricky's not clear here about what was called "'racist' (Carl's term)" but the
only application of it I can recall is described in my 2005 article:

   "In spite of [his] record, there seemed to be a notable hesitation on the
part of some members of AWARE to call Obama on his support for the war. Prompted
by the complaints of one black Democrat after the town meeting, several members
decided that leafleting Obama's rally had been 'rude' and that the leaflet
'demonized' him. They took the uncomfortable position that AWARE needed to treat
black politicians differently from white politicians.
   "With respect for my colleagues in AWARE, that's nonsense -- it's patronizing
or hypocritical, if not racist. A senator in favor of continuing the war, as
Obama is, has blood on his hands, whether he's black or white, from voting for
continued appropriations and confirmation of the executives who make war.
Anti-warriors who fail to say so because of the senator's race find themselves
covertly supporting the war."

<http://www.counterpunch.org/estabrook09292005.html>