[Peace] Read a Book in Common with IVAW

martin smith send2smith at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 18:56:53 CST 2009

Here's a great opportunity for allies of Iraq Veterans Against the War to get involved and learn more about the Iraq War.

Iraq
Veterans Against the War and the Campus Antiwar Network are reading a
book in common and will hold a discussion that is open to all students,
staff, and community members of Champaign-Urbana

WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ:
Michael Schwartz's War Without End: The Iraq War in Context
Book discussion to be held on: Wednesday, March 4, at 7pm in Greg Hall (room TBA)

You can get your copy of War Without End through IShare, your local library, amazon.com, or haymarketbooks.org

*************************

War Without End: The Iraq War in Context by Michael Schwartz

          In
this razor-sharp analysis, TomDispatch.com commentator Michael Schwartz
demolishes the myths used to sell the U.S. public the idea of an
endless "war on terror" centered in Iraq.
 He demonstrates how
the U.S. occupation is fueling rather than restraining civil war in
Iraq, and how U.S. officials systematically dismantled the Iraqi state
and economy, helping to destroy rather than rebuild the country.
In
a popular style, reminiscent of the best writing against the Vietnam
war, he shows how the real U.S. interests in Iraq have been rooted in
the geopolitics of oil and the expansion of a neoliberal economic model
in the Middle East—and around the globe—at gunpoint.
 War
Without End also reveals how the failure of the United States in Iraq
has forced U.S. planners to fundamentally rethink the imperial
fantasies driving recent foreign policy.

                About the Author

          Michael
Schwartz, professor of sociology and faculty director of the
Undergraduate College of Global Studies at Stony Brook University, has
written extensively on the war in Iraq at sites including TomDispatch,
ZNet, Asia Times, and Mother Jones, and in numerous magazines,
including Contexts, Against the Current, and Z.

        See Michael Schwartz speak on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2WLqZOlwMo&eurl=http://www.haymarketbooks.org/product_info.php?products_id=1609&osCsid=9ef42d3537fb53be2a58d027659a89f2

Reviews

          "Americans
have all along needed a sociologist, not a general, to help them
understand Iraq. They need to know about social movements, not just
militias, and about oil politics, not just personalities in the news.
We have the incredible good fortune that the perspicacious Michael
Schwartz boldly stepped forward to cast floods of illumination on the
Iraq War and its tragic social costs."
—Juan Cole, Informed Comment

"The
best history of the U.S. occupation of Iraq that I've seen.… This book
puts incidents of violence we hear about in the context of the massive
violence we don't hear much about, and puts all of it in the context of
the economic and social devastation imposed on Iraq…. Schwartz also
helps to make the complex clearer and simpler by framing his account in
terms of the actual oily motivations of our government, rather than any
of the pretended rationales."
—David Swanson, Global Research

Central Illinois Iraq Veterans Against the War:
ivaw.champaign at gmail.com
facebook: Central Illinois

ivaw.org