[Peace] Help us find Guests-in-Residence for 2009-2010

Laura Haber lhaber at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 24 16:42:11 CST 2009

Please forward this announcement to people who might be interested or send your suggestions to lhaber at illinois.edu. Thanks!

Do you know of any fascinating artists, activists, scholars, performers, writers, educators, journalists, scientists, or uncategorizable people? Unit One is looking for applicants for the Guest-in-Residence program for the 2009-10 academic year.

The residency is part of Unit One, an academic program based in a University residence hall at the University of Illinois-Urbana. Unit One was founded in the early 1970's as an alternative to standard educational models. Many of our courses and extracurricular programs emphasize ideas and activities which students would have little or no exposure to in their standard curriculum, and often challenge established ways of thinking, analyzing, and acting in the world. Guests who have been in-residence in the past have played a major role in helping our students become critical thinkers and agents for social change. In talking about their lives as well as their work, guests can also function as short-term mentors and models who can help students to make enriching life choices.

Our program is very open-ended. Many of our guests have valued their Unit One residency as an opportunity to work with young adults and to experiment with new ideas and new ways of interacting.

In short, guests stay in Allen Hall (we have a very nice apartment suite), and interact with undergrads for a one or two week stay — they do programs in the evenings, eat dinner with students, hang out with them at night, etc. Over the years, the guests have been journalists, artists, musicians, writers, activists, economists, etc. In addition to housing and meals, we provide round-trip transportation within the U.S., and an honorarium.

The program, however, is not for everyone. Successful guests need to enjoy spending time and talking with undergrads who will know little to nothing about the guest’s areas of interests; be personable, outgoing, and friendly; and have a wide enough range of interests and experiences (both personal and professional) to be able to come up with 5 or more different topics to discuss during their stay. Guests are also often invited to participate in the classes that are held here in Unit One.

The deadline for guests to submit applications is April 11. Anyone who might be interested in applying should give me a call to discuss their application, so I can make suggestions and answer questions.

You can find a more detailed description of the program and application procedures on the Unit One home page, http://www.housing.uiuc.edu/living/unit1.

Laura Haber
Program Director of Unit One
68 Allen Hall