[Peace] Fourth of July not-quite-parade (and tonight's People's Pot Luck, and next week's Main Event demonstration)

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 5 12:42:15 CDT 2009

Well,

As you've likely heard, yesterday's parade was
just plain rained out.  We and other groups made a
good try though.  Meg Miner generously brought her trailer,
and she and Karen and Ron and I hung out, tied balloons to it,
and got wetter while we waited for the rain to stop.

A bunch of us (including two of Jenifer's grandchildren) made signs
this week.  Here are some pictures of the damp lineup, some of
the signs we would carried, and other groups who were out there yesterday:

    http://dart.ncsa.uiuc.edu/slevy/aware/pix/4july09/fourth.html

Other groups yesterday included a rustic cabin (with one wall and some foliage),
a home furnishings demonstration (including some wet furniture),
an "exotic pet" zebra-striped jeep from the UofI Vet Clinic, complete
with animals live and stuffed, a giant pink cat from Cat Snap,
a troupe of martial-arts people who were out running in the rain
long after we had taken cover, and a really beautifully done
LGBT float ("Heterosexual rights for gay people"),
complete with wedding bower.

Congratulations to everybody for good ideas, help, encouragement, & support.
Until next year...

(And, two upcoming events:
   * People's Potluck tonight, July 5th, at 6pm at the IMC ...
   * Main Event demonstration delayed one week -- it'll be
     _next_ Saturday, July 11th, 2-4pm,
     downtown Champaign at Main & Neil.)