[Peace] Green Tea Presentation and Discussion: Increasing Gas Prices, Peak Oil, and Resource Depletion with Don Fournier

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 20:40:43 CDT 2009

Please forward widely!

Green Tea Presentation and Discussion:
Increasing Gas Prices, Peak Oil, and Resource Depletion
with Don Fournier

Monday, June 15th, at 7:30 pm.

Urbana Free Library, Auditorium (located in the basement)

Why have gasoline prices been on the rise the last few years?

As we reach $3 per gallon this summer, several common responses in the
mainstream media include summer travel, weaker dollar, cleaner summertime
fuels, production capacity shortages, and geopolitical events. However, the
quantity of untapped, relatively accessible and inexpensive petroleum is
hardly ever mentioned. Peak oil is the point in time when oil production
reaches a maximum. From this point onward, we would produce less oil each
successive year, having a tremendous impact on oil prices, especially if
demand continues to increase worldwide. The United States itself reached
peak oil around 1970 and many predict global peak oil within the next few
years.

Come learn about and discuss peak oil, resource depletion, their impact on
the cost of gas, and how we can address these issues.

Don Fournier, chair of the Building Research Council and manager of the
Smart Energy Design Assistance Center, will present and help lead the
discussion.

A different topic every third Monday of the month - same time and location.
Membership meetings are on the first Monday of the month at 7:30pm in the
Family Room of the Independent Media Center at 202 S Broadway in Urbana.

Learn more and join the party at www.prairiegreens.org.