[Peace] Peaceful demonstration against electoral fraud in Iran

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 22:39:51 CDT 2009

I'm all for people protesting government repression.

But I'm not convinced that the opposition has made a strong case that
the election was stolen; and therefore that the accusation of "coup"
is justified. And I'm worried that the knee-jerk tendency in the U.S.
to believe anything bad said about the Iranian government, regardless
of evidence, is going to give impetus to those in the U.S. seeking
confrontation with Iran. Cooler heads should prevail.

I'm aware of one pre-election poll that followed standard Western
polling practices. If you extrapolate from that poll, even allocating
60% of the undecided to the opposition, you would predict an absolute
majority for Ahmadinejad in the first round.

The numbers are here:

Based on Terror Free Tomorrow Poll, Ahmadinejad Victory Was Expected
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/based-on-terror-free-tomo_b_215423.html