[Peace] Watch Oral Arguments in Prop. 8 Legal Challenge Tomorrow

Stuart Laird stubearto at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:25:52 CST 2009

Watch Oral Arguments in Prop. 8 Legal Challenge
Tomorrow<http://blog.aclu.org/2009/03/04/watch-oral-arguments-in-prop-8-legal-challenge-tomorrow/>
from
ACLU Blog<https://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Fblog.aclu.org%2Ffeed%2F>by
Paul
Cates, ACLU

Tomorrow, March 5, is our big day in court in our legal challenge to Prop.
8. The California Supreme Court will be hearing oral argument from 9 a.m. to
12 p.m. PST. This is the lawsuit we filed the day after the elections with
NCLR <http://www.nclrights.org/>, Lambda Legal
<http://www.lambdalegal.org/>and Equality
California <http://www.eqca.org/>, charging that it was improper to put the
issue before the voters in the first place.

Of course this case is important to lesbian and gay couples who have been
unable to marry since Prop. 8 passed. But it has tremendous implications for
all minority groups in California. The case deals with one of the most
important principals of democracy: basic rights can’t be taken from a
minority even if that’s what the majority wants to do. Prop. 8 was the first
time the initiative process was used to take a fundamental right away from
only one group of people. Although Prop. 8 dealt with the rights of lesbian
and gay Californians, if allowed to stand, any group that finds itself
disfavored by the majority could be targeted in the next election.

The argument can be viewed live tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST at
http://www.calchannel.com. We will also be posting live updates from the
arguments on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/ACLULGBT>.

If you live in the Bay Area, there will be a public viewing at Civic Center
Plaza and at the LGBT Center at 1800 Market Street. The ACLU of San Diego is
hosting a screening with the LGBT Center <http://www.thecentersd.org/> at
3909 Centre St., Hillcrest.

Tonight there will be candlelight vigils throughout the state. You can find
out what’s happening in your community at Eve of
Justice<http://www.eveofjustice.com/>
.

You can learn more about the case on our *Strauss v. Horton* profile
page<http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/relationships/37847res20081105.html>or
on the California
Supreme Court’s
website<http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/courts/supreme/highprofile/prop8.htm>